Chapter 16: Your Voice

Tempestamens 15, 1614 Central Calendar, 15:11

Tranquila District

Autumn.

As one of the four seasons in one year, it marks the transition from summer to winter for the Holy Milishial Empire, whose territory lies entirely in the world's temperate zone. As the tree leaves withered and began to fall from their trees, they paint the predominantly white townscape of the Tranquila District, with various shades of orange.

During this time, the citizens of Runepolis, especially the younger ones, would frequently visit Tranquila to view the fall foliage and take photos of it with their magic cameras. The Tranquila District, the lively and diverse "Student Town" of the Imperial Capital Runepolis where students from all over the Empire gathered to study in the best of the Empire's schools located within the district, became even more crowded with people, bringing fortune to business owners throughout the town.

-----------------------

"Hmmmmm............"

Inside a bookstore located in the Tranquila District, a pair of blue eyes are staring at rows of books displayed on a shelf among the store's aisles. With one hand on the chin, the owner of those eyes, a well-dressed little gentleman, stood facing the shelf and pondering in this section of the bookstore without moving an inch.

"Hmmmmmmmm............"

And for the umpteenth time, a humming sound was heard from the person. Other customers of the store kept their distance from him and continued browsing the books, ignoring him.

"Err...... Young Master, you've been doing that for nearly half an hour now. Haven't you decided what book you will choose?"

A voice interrupted the youth's musings, and he turned to look at the source. There is the shopkeeper, a kind uncle calling out to him from his desk near the store's front door. The distance between them is close, only two meters apart, so he can hear the shopkeeper's words clearly.

"Hmm... I'm not sure, all of these books looked interesting, but I don't know where to start..." The boy sighed, running a hand through his short, slightly spiky silver hair. He then noticed something in the shopkeeper's tone and turned to fully face the older man with a raised eyebrow, "Uncle, what did you call me just now?"

The shopkeeper wasn't sure why the boy asked him that, or why he addressed him 'uncle' so casually, or where he was wrong in what he said earlier, so the shopkeeper answered with a bit of nervousness in his voice.

"...Young Master......?"

He was met with a groan from the young man, who ruffled his silver hair a bit roughly. He then let out a slight chuckle and opened his mouth to speak.

"Uncle... no need to call me that. I'm a commoner just like you."

"Huh!? But I thought..." the shopkeeper trailed off, his eyes wide in astonishment and confusion.

"Is it because of my hair color? I knew it, should've worn a hat or something... Look, if you don't believe me, I can show you a proof, here is my identity card—"

But before the young man could show the documents to prove his identity, a loud beeping sound rang from inside the pocket of the young man's jacket. Quickly reaching the object that emitted the noise, it was revealed to be a grimoire with its screen flashing a set of numbers.

"This number... from Robin, huh? ......Uncle, if you'll excuse me, I got a call to answer."

"Uh... yes..."

With an apologetic tone of voice, the young man bowed slightly to the shopkeeper before putting the grimoire close to his right ear and began speaking to the caller from the other side of the grimoire.