Chapter 8: Off The Grid

Footprints were scattered in the snow. There were small ones with two claws and there were bigger ones that also had two claws. If someone were to inspect this, they'd say that the creature who made the bigger footprints was on a hunt, but that couldn't have been more far from the truth.

The cold wind brushed up against Krystal's feathers as she kept running, not caring if her legs were getting tired or not. She was so stressed that she thought Ripper actually did want to kill her. After how he acted towards her before, it wouldn't be a surprise.

She had her gaze focused on the front. if she looked back for even a few seconds, she might run into a tree or slow down and that's not what she wants to do. All she needs is to outrun Ripper until he tires out.

That is if tiring him out is even possible.

She doesn't know much about his kind but from what she's seen of them, they seem to have a large amount of stamina. This was proven after Nemesis had a tree pin Ripper's tail a few months back and the Indoraptor still had the strength to drag Nemesis across the ground as he ran.

What if she can't outrun him? It seems that the only way to tire him out is to injure him as much as possible, but what could she possibly do to him? Not only is she just a kid but he's got bullet proof skin, what use is her claws when she can't even put a dent in him?

"Krystal!" Ripper shouted in the background.

"Leave me be! What do you need me for anyways?!" Krystal shot back.

She wondered where she would go from here. Maybe find her old paddock perhaps? Little did she know, that facility has been abandoned for a while now. If she were to go there, she'd be wasting her time.

Maybe she should go to the Dilophosaurus family instead. They could offer her protection with their spit attack. Or a better option is going to the Tyrannosaurus family. With their bite force and reputation, nobody would even dare to hurt her.

But how would she go about that? She doesn't even know where she's going right now. For all she knows, she's probably running blind trying to do everything she can to avoid Ripper.

In the distance, Krystal could see some kind of clearing. She hoped that maybe there was a herd of herbivores there. that way she can lose Ripper if she causes a stampede. If she isn't trampled in the process.

Krystal moved faster, the snow and wind colliding with her feathers as she did. Everytime she felt cold, she'd just shake her body and all the snow would come off of her.

The young Raptor charged straight for the clearing. If there was a herd, she'd have to cause a panic for them to get moving. She leaped into the air as high as she could, and landed into the clearing releasing a threatening roar.

But what she found on the other side wasn't what she expected.

Instead of a herd of herbivores like Parasaurolophus. Krystal came across a small group of three men and one pickup truck.

"There we go. Boss wants that one." One of the men said as the other aimed a gun at Krystal.

She prepared to run. Ripper and his son may be bullet proof, but the only protection she has for her skin is her feathers. And they won't do her any favors against bullets.

Krystal dashed to the right side and tried to find another way out. Perhaps she should've listened to Ripper and stopped running. Maybe she shouldn't have ran at all. What good will all of this bring her anyways? She'll have nothing if she-

The young Raptor felt something piercing her left leg as she stumbled and fell onto the snow. The men started to approach her cautiously as she turned her head to look at what hit her.