★ | #02 | study

★ | #02 | study"ah, so you're not totally hopeless after all

| #02 | study
"ah, so you're not totally hopeless after all."

.𖥔 ݁ ˖ nicole's radio station
is now playing...

get up newjeans

"meet me back in five if i matter
to you, like you say i do."

_______________

HUGGING her knees tightly to her chest, Haewon nibbled on her bottom lip, his words filling her mind before completely disappearing, unable to concentrate as her mind kept drifting off.

“Can we take a break?” She requested with a groan, looking up at the boy who sat on the floor next to her. Heeseung sighed, shaking his head.

“Haewon, you have to actually do some of this work. You can't just give up so easily like that. It doesn't work like that.” He spoke, as the girl pursed her lips.

“I can't concentrate.” She excused herself truthfully, her gaze sharpening as she stared off at her best friend, who crossed his arms over his chest.

“Seong Haewon,” Heeseung began, his tone of voice stern, yet with a subtle softness to it.

“We aren't in elementary school anymore. We cannot just be carefree all the time like we used to, and go out and fool around. This is high school. We actually have to study, okay? And I'd prefer to graduate with you. I don't want you to retake the grade while I'm already in college.” Heeseung expressed, as the girl sighed quietly in response.

The room fell silent, as she avoided his gaze as she picked at a loose thread of the sweatshirt she had changed into, as she had thrown her uniform in the washing, hoping to get the chocolate milk stain out of her blouse.

Heeseung let out a sigh, before he looked down at the books he had laid out, and flipped through the pages briefly before looking back up at her.

“Here, how about this..” He uttered, pursing his lips, “If you answer three of these questions, we'll take a small break from studying. Fair?”

Haewon looked over at him, before grumbling to herself and nodding in agreement.

Heeseung hummed in content, reading out a question to her as he listed out her options.

_______________________

A few minutes passed, and Haewon had successfully answered the first question, although being quizzed about it multiple times by Heeseung, who made sure she wasn't just guessing.

“Ah, so you're not totally hopeless after all.” He muttered out jokingly, narrowing his eyes.

Haewon scoffed, “Shut up.” She rolled her eyes, taking the initiative to reach her arm out, punching his shoulder and pushing him, as he raised his hands to block her hits.

“Ouch! Okay, okay!” The boy laughed out, catching her hands in his as he defused the situation, eyes forming two crescents as he looked at his friend.

“So aggressive.” He breathed out, letting out a small ‘tsk’ sound as a teasing grin spread across his face.

“I really, firmly dislike you.” Haewon grumbled, pulling her hands out of his as she shifted slightly to look down at the array of school books they had laid out.

“Yeah right.” Heeseung huffed out amusedly before sighing in content. “We still have two more questions to get through before we can take a break, so I'd suggest focusing now.”

The girl hummed, tapping her pencil against her bottom lip as her brows tied together in a knot, her brain on overdrive as she tried to decipher the words he was feeding to her as he explained problems.

Thirty minutes passed, and Heeseung let out a chuckle upon seeing the girl fall back onto the floor into a laying position, hands covering her face as she released a deep breath, finally taking a break from her studies after answering two questions correctly.

“You did well, but we're still not done.” He cooed, setting all of the books down before hoisting himself up from the floor, stretching out his limbs.

“Don't remind me.” She sighed, earning a small smile from the boy.

“I'm seriously about to become a high school drop out.” The girl huffed out half-jokingly, rolling her eyes as Heeseung scoffed at the sudden declaration.

“Don't be dramatic. You're doing really well. You just need that extra push, and that's what we're doing here.” Heeseung snickered, shaking his head.

“You're only saying that out of pity.” The girl huffed, narrowing her eyes as she stared at him from the floor.

“I'm not, and you're aware of that. If you're being an idiot, I'll tell you that. Trust me.” Heeseung teased, as she held back a smile, pressing her lips together in a thin line.

“Alright, come on. Let's go eat. Your mom has been cooking for us, it'd be rude not to show appreciation for her.” Heeseung extended his arm out, holding out his hand for her to take.

Haewon stared at him quietly for a moment before giving in and taking his hand, letting him help her out from the floor.

Once standing by his side, the boy didn't let his grip around her hand loosen as he tugged her along with him downstairs, the smell of freshly cooked food entering their senses.

___________

★﹐authors corner .﹗﹑ 0.9k words
this chapter is so short omg ?? haven't written anything this short since ditto bro it doesn't feel right </3

(edit — i said one chapter per week but i have zero self control + i finished mapping out the entirety of this fic so now i just have to write it, therefore i don't have much to worry about in terms of update schedules)

i swear i'll try to make everything much longer 🙏‼️

thank you for readingggg mwahmwah i love you all <3
january 21st, 2024 — 6:20pm.
not proofread.