He laughs, the sound echoing through the backstage chaos. "Fair enough. But I have to admit, it was worth it to see the look on your face."

Rolling my eyes, I retort, "You're incorrigible, Gilbert Blythe." We share a moment of lighthearted banter before he resumes his behind-the-scenes tasks.

I walk back around to find Diana in her costume with the rest of the girls.

"So, about that kiss," she begins, her tone sly. I shoot her a warning look, but she's undeterred. "Details, please."

I sigh, realizing I can't escape the inevitable interrogation. I pull her to a corner. "It was just a moment, Diana. Innocent and fleeting. Don't go weaving dramatic tales."

Diana smirks, clearly enjoying the opportunity to tease me. "Innocent, huh? You're blushing, Ada."

Ignoring her comment, I redirect the conversation. "Anyway, let's focus on the play. We don't want any more surprises, planned or unplanned."

Gilbert joins us again, looking amused at our exchange. "Ready for the grand performance, ladies? Your costume looks dashing, Diana."

Diana grins. "Thank you, Gilbert. We're always ready. Ada just needed a momentary distraction."

I shoot her a pointed look before turning to Gilbert. "Distractions aside, let's make sure everything runs smoothly. No more surprises, please."

He raises his hands in mock surrender. "You have my word, Ada. Smooth sailing from here on out."

***

The days are passing quickly as the Christmas pantomime and my birthday approaches. The days have been cold and long but everything is coming together nicely.

"What are you wrapping there?" Bash asks, rather loudly.

I shush him. "Did your mother teach you no manners?" I whisper, mimicking him. "It's a Christmas present for Gilbert!"

"Where's mine? I hope it is a dinner with some kick to it." Bash retorts teasingly.

I smile. "Oh I'll give you a kick."

Before he can respond, someone knocks at the door. He clicks his tongue at me before answering the door. "Good day to you, ma'am."

"Oh... Hello." Oh it's Marilla! "I... Are you...?" Great. She has probably never been this close to a man of color before.

"My name is Sebastian. I'm Gilbert Blythe's friend." Bash says.

"His friend?"

"Yes. I live here now. We met when we was both working on the ship, on our way to Trinidad." I could probably step in, but I want to see how this goes.

"Oh. I see. Is Gilbert at home?" Marilla asks.

"Of course, yes." He nods. He pokes his head around the door. "Blythe! There's a very surprised lady here to see you." He winks at me making me almost laugh. I cover my mouth as I throw a towel over Gilbert's present. Gilbert rushes from down the hall and opens the door all the way.

"Miss Cuthbert! What a pleasant surprise." He smiles widely.

"Hello, Gilbert. Welcome home." She smiles. She peeks her head around the two boys. "Ada. Good to see you." I smile somewhat guiltily.

"I see you've already met Sebastian." Gilbert says, sensing the tension. "Won't you come in?"

She shakes her head. "Oh, thank you, I-I just came by to see if you and Ada would like to join us for Christmas dinner at Green Gables."

"That's... that's very kind of you to offer." Gilbert smiles.

"And of course you're welcome to join us... Sebastian." Marilla smiles, awkwardly.

"I'd be delighted."

"Oh. Very well, then." She backs away from the door as she takes her leave.

"Good day." Gilbert waves before shutting the door.

Sebastian lets out a breath of air. "My goodness. She looked like she had just seen a ghost."

"I wouldn't use the term ghost." I grimace making the two of them laugh. "I'd say you handled that well, Bash."

"Me too." He nods.

"What's under that towel?" Gilbert asks.

I tighten my grip on it. "For the time being, it is none of your concern." I smile sweetly.

He holds his hands up in defense. "If you say so."