Chapter 7 - The Venerable Rice Guru

With eyes ablaze with desperation, Sorah gripped Elder Liu's shoulder tightly and said, "I must rescue our children from bondage, or wrathful gods themselves may damn me to their hells!"

Elder Liu studied his friend's face, reading the layers of anguish and guilt behind Sorah's raw determination. Liu waved his staff and reinforced the dome of swirling winds around the battered villagers. Safe for now within the eye of the storm, he turned to face Sorah fully.

"Your spirit remains as stalwart as your father's, but your injured body betrays the mind's urges," Liu said, gesturing to the blood seeping through Sorah's tattered uniform. "You must heal first before--"

"No!" Sorah interrupted, wincing as he forced himself upright using his staff. "Forgive my impatience, honoured friend, but every second delayed could allow the invaders to spirit more students into their wretched mines. Akara, Mari, Meili, Daichi...I swore an oath as their Master to protect each precious seedling that found its way to my garden doors!"

Sorah's shoulders heaved under the weight of so much helplessness and regret. Had stubborn pride cultivated such vulnerability here atop their isolated perch? How blindly he had scoffed just hours ago at Daichi's impatience to learn more offensive techniques; when their Avatar Guards now lay broken against Dravenik's towering Varzik and Quar'ellix horror looming so close.

Elder Liu's face softened with empathy. "Oh, my dear brother Sorah. Your loving heart does you tremendous credit, as well as these years cultivating compassion in our youths. But understand... your current skills are no match for a Titan Avatar. Remain in isolation until we--"

"Please! I beg this one allowance!" Sorah dropped suddenly to his knees, bowing with genuine humility towards the elder. "I know I'm not strong enough as of now, however, there might still be a chance yet. Allow me to bear responsibility for my oversights and collect my inheritance. Then I shall carve a path directly to lost lambs in need...or join our ancestors trying with righteous fury!"

Elder Liu drew a slow breath, weighing his next words carefully while chaos still erupted around them. Glancing up at the waiting Cloud Dragon, an idea formed.

"Very well. I will delay riding to reinforce Lady Kaiya against that Colossus nightmare," Liu said. "Let histories show Elder Sorah volunteered bravely this hour despite grievous injuries! Now come, I shall take you upon my dragon to the Autumn Court where your father's legacy awaits."

Elder Liu helped Sorah limp out from under the wind dome's protection towards his elegant Cloud Dragon. The fierce steed and master together manipulated surrounding wind streams to lift Sorah gently onto the saddle.

Moments later, the Cloud Dragon's powerful wings beat steadily, carrying passengers over burning tree lines further inland of the Aerithra Kingdom towards a secluded valley gorge shielded by scattered ancient pillars and toppled azure stones.

Sorah could scarcely believe Elder Liu had indulged this dangerous request.

Somewhere below, the Rice Guru waited high atop the mountain ruins comprising the Autumn Court sanctum--custodian of Master Aoi's resting place and his weapon imbued with a rare Aether Crystal. Nearly sixty years had passed since Sorah's own feet tread this hallowed sanctuary where his father's living essence now nourished the surrounding nature.

The Cloud Dragon circled lower and passed through a shimmering veil of leaves that parted seamlessly to allow entry to authorized kindred. Below sprawled a lush grove peppered with hot springs, fruiting orchards and vibrant overgrowth tucked surreally between craggy mountain slopes. This hidden paradise remained untouched by invading fires or wartime's cruel erosion.