chapter one

How we met

Pandora's point of view

I had returned to my late husband's ranch so I could find out what was going on with Luke but he has since stopped contacting me along with not having anything to do with our kids, I had become closer to Kolter's brother Kaleb after we took turns trying to tame a horse we named Smoky.

I was in Hawaii with Theo and Brit while they celebrated my 30th birthday with me when I seen him walking towards us while we waited for our luggage.

I haven't seen him for several years, even though we agreed to remain friends and I knew being away from him for that long probably broke his heart for awhile but I needed to focus on my children more. I hadn't been expecting him to come but I heard Riley ask me about him as he continued walking towards where we were standing as we kept waiting for our luggage.

Riley: who's that mama?

Pandora: he's a really good friend of mine. Theo, can you watch my kids for me?

Theodore: sure.

I walked to where he was and seen him stop in front of me while he gently placed his hand in mine, I closed my hand around his and began talking to him.

Pandora: I'm surprised to see you here.

Kaleb: I couldn't miss your birthday and your friends invited me. I wasn't sure what to buy for you so I decided to get something for you last minute. I know it's not much but I hope you like it.

I watched as he pulled something out of his bag and quickly gave it to me. I slowly unwrapped it and seen a necklace box, I opened it up and seen a beautiful silver necklace with a heart shaped pendant at the end.

Pandora: it's beautiful but you didn't have to buy me anything, you showing up is enough for me. Thank you.

Kaleb: are those your kids?

Pandora: that's them...

Kaleb: they're getting so big, I remember when little Scarlett was a tiny thing.

I looked over at them and noticed what he was talking about, They have grown tremendously since I left the ranch.

Pandora: so how are things back on the ranch?

Kaleb: things are good, the guys wanted me to say hello for them. They really do miss you and Smoky...

Pandora: you kept Smoky?

Kaleb: yeah and you should see his daughter, she's a beauty.

Pandora: sounds like I missed alot since I moved back to the city, I will have to visit again. How's your dad doing?

Kaleb: he passed away last week so now I'm in charge of the ranch and everything it stands for.

Pandora: I'm sorry for your loss Kaleb, if I knew I would have went to pay my respects. He was a good man.

Kaleb: yeah and his dying request was that I'd get the girl back, I didn't know who he meant at first but when he grabbed a photo of you and my brother, I...

I looked him in his face and felt him place his hand over mine as he gently squeezed it before looking in my eyes.

Kaleb: he wanted me to be happy with you.