31. The end of it

As the wedding day unfolded, the buzz of anticipation surrounded me, and the air in the room was filled with the scent of hairspray and excitement

As the wedding day unfolded, the buzz of anticipation surrounded me, and the air in the room was filled with the scent of hairspray and excitement. The makeup artist and hairstylist worked their magic, transforming me into a vision of beauty.

"We're finished; you look amazing," one of the beauticians complimented, making my lips lift into a grateful smile.

"Thank you," I whispered, my gaze fixed on my reflection in the mirror. The makeup was simple yet stunning, and as I admired the artistry, memories of my past wedding flashed before me— the contrast between the pain and anger then and the overwhelming joy now.

Everything seemed perfect; nothing was missing on this special day. Surrounded by the talented professionals and the support of my family, I felt like the happiest bride alive.

Mama, mom Lakshmi, and aunt Zara burst into the room, their excitement contagious.

"You look so gorgeous, honey!" Mama exclaimed, tears of happiness glistening in her eyes. Aunt Zara, always one for playful banter, teased about strong genes, eliciting laughter from mom Lakshmi and me.

"In the last seventeen years I raised you, this was the moment I looked forward to," mom expressed, holding my hands. "The day where I'd see you happy, peaceful, and ready to spend your life with the man you love. I'm so happy I got to witness this. Though I'm not your biological mother, I want you to always remember that I love you like my own and I'll always consider you mine."

Moved by her words, I choked on a sob and hugged her tightly. When I pulled away, mama embraced her, expressing her gratitude for the years of love and care.

"I know nothing I do would be able to show how much I appreciate what you did for my two children, Lakshmi, but from the bottom of my heart, I appreciate it," mama uttered, her voice tinged with emotion.

"You don't have to feel indebted, Theodora. While it lasted, I enjoyed being their mother," mom Lakshmi reassured, and the two women shared an emotional moment, embracing each other.

"We'll leave you now to finish getting ready," mama gently kissed my forehead, and with heartfelt sentiments exchanged, they exited the room, leaving me to savor the last moments before stepping into a new chapter of my life.

Not long after they left, Alanna and Astra joined me in the room, their vibrant energy filled the space. Alanna, much like her mother Aunt Zara, brought a playful and bubbly aura. Astra, my step-sister, carried an air of calmness and reassurance.

"Wow!" Alanna exclaimed with theatrical flair.

"You're so beautiful, Issa. But I think it'd be better if I took your place. Have you seen your groom?" She twirled dramatically, her playful banter earning an eye-roll and a head smack from Astra.

"Behave yourself, Alanna," Astra scolded, then turned to me with genuine admiration. "You're stunning," she complimented, and I thanked her with a wide smile.