20 │Docking

Beginne am Anfang

Freya smirked. "Isn't it quite the coincidence that we're docking at night?

The Prince first replied her with a chuckle, then added, "You should know by now that with us a lot of things won't be arbitrary."

Yeah, she had that kind of feeling already.

They stood there in silence for a few moments when Giselle finally joined the group, followed by Qadir—proud as a peacock as always. Freya noticed, however, that his disposition may not have become all rainbows and glitter after his latest hunt, but he could certainly hold back many of the insults that were clearly on his tongue. She had to admit to the feeling of relief to see his change of attitude. Also, she learned another thing, which was how much bloodthirst affected the behavior of her future suspects. On the other hand though, when hungry, she also could be a bit grumpy, so who was she to truly judge?

It took another half an hour for their ship to reach shore. By then, the sky had completely darkened. Thevell, as befitted a popular port, seemed to be bustling with life despite the nighttime. Their ship docked near the local brothel, so Freya had the opportunity to observe what she could not in Nyamene.

Loud music seemed to successfully attract sailors. From behind the open windows, one could hear the laughter of already tipsy men, accompanied by the sweet sighs of women set to work. Fortunately, windows supposedly belonging to the rooms, where the loudest of their services were performed, remained closed. Moans of the women in the tavern's annex were enough for Freya's ears.

"Tempted?" Staring at the building, she almost jumped at the fleeting touch of the Prince's lips against her ear. She immediately turned around while giving her sternest glare.

"What are you doing?!" She whispered irritated. Her gaze took in the immediate surroundings. Luckily, both Qadir and Giselle were busy securing their luggage.

"Asking a question. Is it my fault now, that the mere sight of a brothel seems to mesmerize you?" He replied with a smirk.

"I'm not mesmerized, simply curious." She puffed up.

"I would give you a tour if not for you being already very engaged and very decent lady."

If a single look could kill, or cause some pain at least, it'd certainly be a displeasing moment for a Prince.

"Don't remind me." That was all Freya decided to say.

Avoiding further conversation, she walked over to Frida, making sure everything was attached correctly. Satisfied, she mounted her, glancing at how Giselle was doing. Not bad, it seemed. Not long after, the rest of the companionship joined her. All the horses were visibly uncomfortable, treading on firm ground after a week of sailing. However, Freya was assured that they should be functioning properly by tomorrow. She could only hope that was correct. Poor Frida...

Firstly, they headed to the roadside bazaar, which was apparently open regardless of the hour. They stocked up on food for the women there, as well as some wine and warm coats—as the rest of their journey was further north. While in Nyamene they still could feel the warmth of the ending summer, but in Thevell—which was located higher up north—the fall already had come. And at each subsequent stage of the journey, it would only get colder.

Then, without even mounting their horses again, they headed to a nearby inn where the women could eat a warm meal before—what could be expected to be—quite a demanding overnight journey. Freya suddenly regretted that in the last few days, she had focused more on avoiding Leander than on changing her biological clock. Now, unfortunately, both she and Giselle would likely have to bear the consequences of sticking to their human clock on the ship.

"I hope the horse I got will learn to follow these bloodsuckers in the dark. There's no way I won't drift off at some point," Giselle said from over a plate full of rabbit stew. Qadir was outside, hunting for himself, while Leander stood at the bar, asking for beer.

"Don't call them that, Giselle. I'm not sure yet how good their hearing abilities are," Freya replied realizing that she didn't ask about that particular thing. Mental note, she had to question Leander on the next occasion.

"Would they harm me?"

"Not these two, I hope..." She stole a glance to see if Leander was on his way back to their table. "But I cannot say for the rest. You should probably be very careful. You're disposable in their eyes."

"How about yours?"

Freya scolded her maid with a glance.

"Obviously not, you silly woman," she signed. "So, do me a favor, and speak your mind only if you're sure that we're alone, please."

"Ahh... Can be done, I guess..."

The sensitive topic must have been forgotten because Leander joined them with a mug of beer in his hand. Even if Freya trusted him with her person, she wasn't sure what his attitude would be toward the maid, who, in the eyes of many, often went beyond the scope of her duties. She had a feeling that she could feel safe with Leander in this aspect as well, but for now, she decided to play it safe. Time would tell.

"You're not hunting?" She asked him.

Leander took a deep swallow of his beer, which caused some foam to settle on his upper lip. He quickly got rid of it with his tongue, which didn't go unnoticed by the Princess. She swallowed loudly, feeling her pulse quicken at the sight.

What was that with her and her treacherous responses?

"I'm good," the Prince replied. "I'll hunt in the forest."

"Oh, okay..."

He gave her a gentle smile, reminding her of all those evenings on the ship where they just sat and talked and laughed.

"You don't have to worry, remember?"

She remembered. Unfortunately, along with the memory that she shouldn't worry about his thirst, she also remembered the scene that occurred immediately after that conversation. The touch of his lips, his charming whisper, and her desire for him to never, ever, stop.

She blushed, the guilt already gathering for having such thoughts once again.

Her awkwardness was interrupted by Qadir's arrival. Her future husband's adviser looked pleased with his hunt. Freya could only count on the fact that no one was permanently harmed as a result of contact with the man.

He looked around the entire company and then muttered gruffly, "Are you done yet?"

Freya simply nodded for herself and Giselle. Leander drank the rest of his beer in a quick gulp, then stood up. "Yeah, we're ready."

"What course now?" Freya asked, also gathering her things and readying mentally for what was to come.

"The Ivy Forest..." Qadir replied with a smirk so creepy, that she held her breath for a moment. "My favorite part."

Freya then realized that Qadir's satisfaction was probably related tothe potential dissatisfaction of the rest of the party once stepping foot inthe said forest. And rightly so, her whole body got chills just thinking aboutit.

 And rightly so, her whole body got chills just thinking aboutit