Act 1 - Chapter 5: As Above, So Below

A/N: The plot is going to be different from this point forward, and the canon events that have happened will be entirely new so don't expect spoilers form the old story to pop up here (maybe). Characters and encounters may stay the same.

("Infinite" Stairway - Y/N & Ten.)

Who knew it would be boring to walk down a goddamn staircase. The walls are a mix or brick and concrete and the lights were... definitely overworked and ready to burst, and my god the stairs were creaky. I mean, it should be obvious because the floor is all made of wooden boards, but this is just beyond annoying and even Ten is visibly perturbed by how creaky it was. It's been a few minutes and we both still haven't reached the bottom. Ten turns to me and comments "Jeez, we coulda used the broken door as a bobsled, yknow. Would've been fun."

We chuckle at that idea and continue down the stairs, continuing to talk about random topics to pass the time and drown out the creaky stairs and I learned a lot during the descent. For one, I learned that a traveller had once purchased a bomb from Jeff, the local shopkeeper outside the Library, and used it to blow up Ambush since the traveller had found them to be a nuisance. We both laugh at that story as I certainly did not know Jeff had contraband, nor that he would willingly sell it to anyone who had the coins to buy it.

"You know, Ten, I remember when I went through a run with another traveller once by complete accident. And my god they were so annoying that I actually got into a fistfight with them because they bragged about... uh... brutally killing an entity in cold blood..." I say, realising this was probably not the best story to tell to Ten. They chuckled awkwardly.

"D-did you win?" He asked.

"I knocked him through a window in Seek's hallway before he appeared. Lets just say he didn't appreciate me either..." I say, both of us chuckling as we continue downwards towards... Wherever.

A few minutes pass again and it is at this point, I realise we are going to have to walk all the way up again if we even survive down there. I gulp and continue, but notice there was something at the bottom of the stairs, like a metal chain-link door. Ten sighs with exasperation, grunting out a "Finally" as they seemed tired from hovering. I look over, noticing they were fluttering as if they would suddenly fall out of the air. I quickly, but carefully, grabbed them and held them like you would a cat. Ten looks up at me and they just closed their eyes, sighing and muttering a "Thanks..." And I chuckled as it was sorta cute.

We reach the door and I reach for the handle with my free hand, turning it and pushing it open as the creaks of rusted metal sound throughout the empty stairs, startling both of us as the halls slowly go empty, the creaking of wood now the only sound emanating from anywhere. I take a deep breath and enter the room, noticing it was similar to the elevator at the end of the hotel, the one protected by that hunk of clay, Figure. I look around for a means to use it and notice all the buttons were removed except for one, Floor Zero. I look around further and see a worn-down note taped to the wall, so it must have been put in by someone else... Maybe Curious since he admitted to going down here before? My curiosity was struck and I walked closer to read the note. It seemed rushed, as if whoever wrote it was trying to do so quickly. It read as follows:

"TO WHOEVER READS THIS, TURN BACK NOW AND NEVER RETURN. THE LAB HAS BEEN LOST AND CANNOT BE RECOVERED. DO NOT GO DOWN THERE BECAUSE YOU WILL NOT RETURN THE SAME, IF AT ALL, AS THE BEAST DOWN THERE WILL KILL YOU ON SIGHT. THEY SENT THREE MORE GROUPS LAST TIME AND NONE HAVE RETURNED. I WILL BE SENT DOWN HERE TO DIE. BOSS, IF YOU SOMEHOW READ THIS, GO F-"

And then the note cuts off, ripped as if it was never meant to be there. Whoever wrote this certainly has a fractured relationship with the "Boss". I don't think going down here is the smartest of decisions because what if we do die? What if Ten dies? Curious never told us there would be danger but that's a given 'cuz this hotel is sure full of monsters already. What's one more, eh? I sigh and turn towards the button panel and reluctantly push the Floor Zero button. A small rattle and the elevator begins descending at a medium pace. I didn't notice it before, but Ten seems to have fallen asleep in my arms as I hear quiet snoring over the rattle and creaking of metal. "This elevator's a damn death trap...I mutter as I try not to think about how this would go totally wrong.