Chapter 9

It turns out I did sleep that night.

I kept waiting to hear the quiet rhythm of the Princes leaving step along the castle, but they never came. He didn't leave. He just stood on the sill beside the balcony, out of sight.

I was confused; what was he doing? After half an hour I slowly and silently padded to the window and pressed my ear against the wall. I could make out a steady rhythm of breathing. He must have been warding off the other assassins. Or making sure I didn't run away?

See, I thought to myself, they're not as heartless as the rumors say. It was only after the sun peeked over the horizon that I heard his swift departure.

At 8:15, a soft knock sounded at the door and Liz's musical voice rang out that breakfast was here. She set down the platter. The bountiful charcuterie of food was straight out of a dream. Skewers of saturated fruit lay beside small bowls of sweet yogurt. There was also oatmeal, crepes, waffles, eggs, pancakes, and much more. Nothing less than what royalty would eat.

"Breakfast in bed?" Liz asked.

I just smiled in return. There was no way I was going to let this once-in-a-million chance escape me. "Of course. Care to join?"

Liz's face lit up like a Christmas tree and she hopped up on the bed. "I didn't know what you wanted so I just took one of everything."

I smiled, "Just my style."

She chose one of the small yogurt bowls, "How do you do that?"

"Do what?" I asked, picking up a skewer.

"Smile like that." she said. I frowned, "Like you have a secret."

"I smile like I have a secret?"

"Yeah, and with a hint of mischief mixed with a little bit of... cruelty. Kind of like the royals." She shuddered, "But you'll be the good one. Everyones hoping that you'll change them. That you'll stay. You're not leaving, right?"

"I'm not." We'll see how long that lasts. "You don't serve under anyone, right? Or report to anyone?" I asked.

"No. They didn't actually choose me to receive you. It was last minute because Larrisa broke her leg. Larrisa reports directly to the Queen." She thought, "I mean, one time I was called to the 4th prince's room to deliver food, but that's the closest I've come to serving someone directly."

"Where are you from?"

She hesitated, "I'm an orphan. Though the Sisters thought I looked like one of the Mavarian refugees in the Northern Isles." The way she touched her face, looked down and to the left, she was lying.

I smiled again, the way she said, "Me too."

She looked momentarily frightened when she looked up, but she quickly schooled her expression and smiled back. This girl was sharper than she let on. "What are you going to do today? I would recommend the scholars library to get a sense of palace life. It's the best place to start. I bought a servant's uniform as well so that you don't get cornered again. "

"Hm, that wouldn't be bad."

____________________________________

The castle grounds were the size of a small city. To get to the scholars library, I took the route through the palace gardens. The glamorous, perfectly manicured expanse that my balcony overlooked. Every blossom seemed to glitter with dew drops. The garden held a wealth of diverse flowers and rounded plant hedges. Ruby roses were vibrant and volcanic. Wisteria arches were elegant and dynamic. Pink tulips were sweet and romantic.

Everywhere I looked cultivated a beautiful piece of art. Even the cobbled path seemed to be from a fairy tale. I wondered why there weren't more people to behold this artwork. Why was I the only person here?

Bella.

"Yes?" I answered.

               Bella.

"Hi," I called out, "is anyone there?"

                               Bella.

I turned in a full circle, finding eerie silence. "Hello?" I finally whispered.

A taunting voice whispered back, smiling.

Hello, Arabella.

Long time no see.

Terror began to surge in my blood. I circled again, finding nothing except a loud silence. It pushed down and seemed to suffocate the area. I turned toward the library and began to sprint, dashing around each graphed hedge.

The voice unnervingly orbited me, following.

Don't run from fate, Arabella. It crawled up my neck like a spider. I'm here for you. To help you.

"I don't need help. " I yelled, "Get away from me." I tried to bat it away then realized it didn't have a physical form. I couldn't see anything but the perfect garden. Not a hint of the manipulative voice.

As you wish, Arabella. It smiled, Don't think I'll be gone forever. I'll come back again.

Just like last time.

I kept running until the plants seemed to breathe again and the large library loomed before me. Servants scurried around doing tasks like a well-oiled machine. I entered the library and took a seat at one of the wooden study tables.

Gods above, I must be going crazy. That voice seemed to appear in my dream as well. Before I woke up and almost pathetically died.

The library smelled of books and was filled with the comfortable sound of pens scratching and pages flipping. This was a very nice place, I decided.

I strolled around the shelves and read about the history of the royal family, newspapers regarding the Isles, and what in the world that voice could have been. What it could have meant in my dream.

The day slipped by swiftly and soon the azure sky drifted to the hue of a carnivorous flower. I checked out some books on history and magic, which the voice could have possibly derived from. Despite my earlier encounter, I took the garden route back to my room. My lovely, luxurious room.

Suddenly an arrow whizzed in front of my face. A crack sounded as it was embedded into an ivory column to my right. I dropped the books and collapsed to a crouch, sinking behind the pillar.

These assassins were no joke, I thought. Until I noticed the narrow slip of blood red fabric attached to the end. Sofia must have been feeling lonely. 

__________________

Authors Note: 

Why do you think Sofia sent the arrow? 

And what do you think the voice is? 

You'll find out soon...