Chapter 5

There was an old maid waiting for my arrival at the West Entrance, just like I was promised. Elma, she called herself. She was round, compassionate, and utterly shell shocked at the state of me.

"Oh my gosh!" She exclaimed, "What in the world could have happened to you! It's okay Darling, we'll get you all fixed up. But doesn't that hurt?"

Shame bloomed across my freckled cheeks and dried blood and dirt crusted my clothes. Everything did hurt, but I was accustomed to the steady pain. I must have smelled horrible too, but Elma did not show any sign of it as she herded me to the castle healing room.

Then I remembered that I was supposedly rich, and that my father wasn't supposed to confiscate the money meant for travels. I forced my voice to break as I responded, "Yeah, it does hurt. My carriage turned over and the rest of my belongings were lost in the Avenian River. This is all I have."

Sympathy rippled across her face before more and more people began to notice my arrival. Soon there was a swarm of servants pushing to see me. I had always strived to exist in the shadows, so this drastic change of scenery and circumstance was a big blow to me. Visitors were extremely rare in this castle, Elma explained. Everyone knew everyone, so it was obvious I hadn't been here before.

I quickly grew fond of Elma as she thankfully hid me from the crowd inside the hospital room. I was soaked in clear, fresh water and now white coat doctors fussed over me, taking vitals and comparing clipboards. In all of my life, I had never seen such expensive equipment. Never had this many people care about me, either. Never had anyone but Sofia and Ralph care about me. I wondered what they would think of this. 

Ralph would be content that I was getting medical attention and tell me so. Sofia would call me weak and yell at me to get back to work, but she would be happy too, even if she didn't say it.

Suddenly a stunning woman entered the room, worry written on her features. Her long chestnut hair was plaited and an alluring aquamarine gown hugged her waist. Golden embroidery followed the cascading fabric and mirrored the jeweled crown resting atop her head.

Even before I recalled her silky voice from the calls, I recognized her for what she was. No, not the killer that the rumors claimed she was. A Queen stood before me.

Her eyes swiftly searched the room and as they fixed on me anxiety heightened my senses. She rushed over and knelt beside the bed I sat on, the doctor's clamor quieting momentarily. She reached out her hand as if to caress my face, but withdrew at the last second.

She just stared, her skin clear and lips ruby. Then she whispered under her breath something that sent chills down my spine, "You're everything your mother promised you were."

Oh.

Shit.