Chapter 7

It was more than beautiful. The room was the size of my fathers house and more.

The bed was huge and circular. A canopy gracefully hung on either side and exceptionally comfortable, downy covers lay atop. The warmth of the sun kissed my face and generously lit up the room. Large bouquets of freshly cut lilacs and peonies were strategically placed and their lovely scent enveloped the room.

A balcony overlooked the palace gardens and birds could be heard chirping outside. The domed ceiling had elegant gold carvings and reflected the light expertly.

The bathroom was astonishing as well. It was a charcuterie of golden glints, ivory and marble. A clear fountain babbled mellifluously inside of a cerulean bathing pool. Its ripples cast ever-moving refracted lights on the ceiling.

Everything had a slight touch of royal elegance and feminine coquette. I walked over to the bed and ran a tentative touch over a soft throw. "It's amazing."

I looked over to Liv for a reality check, "This is... mine?" She nodded, still in awe.

I turned around in a full circle, taking everything in. "What's that over there?"

She grinned, "That's the closet. I bet it's a walk in."

It was indeed a walk in closet. Ornately designed gowns hung on hangers and clothes, shoes, and many other things lived here. Everything in this room was nothing less than luxury.

What's the catch, I thought to myself. Where is the price? Once they found out I wasn't who I claimed to be, it would be the end.

So I would enjoy it while I could. "You know," Liv started, "There's also a spa for the consorts. If you wanted, I'm sure they wouldn't mind. Everyones been dying to meet you. Not your fiance's concerts, of course. They serve the others. But still."

"Others?"

"The Queen gave birth to 7 children. You're getting married to the 3rd. The 6th is a pretty playboy. The majority of the consorts serve him and various dukes. In my opinion, it's in everyone's best interest to avoid falling for him." She chidded, "They never listen."

"How do I get food here?"

"Oh! You'll have a group of servants. Also you're going to dine with the royal family once you've recovered."

Dread crept in my stomach, "All seven?" She nodded. Ah, there's the catch.

Liz counted on her fingers, "And the King and Queen, and maybe some close generals." She saw my face, "Don't worry, you'll be just fine. They can be a bit murderous sometimes, but you're a cautious person."

She wasn't the one dining with some of the most powerful people on the continent. I didn't know how literally to take the last bit either.

"You don't have any allergies, right? I'll leave some food outside the door and you can retire for the day. It must have been a long day for you." I nodded.

I sat down on the edge of the bed to settle my spinning head. It had been about two weeks away from home, including travel, and I really missed my friends. Ralph was probably digging for the elusive clams and Sofia was likely drinking from a broken beer bottle or scaring customers. I laughed a little. I really missed them.

My life was a lot better away from my father. I missed him, too. The old him before mom left. Not that that's new. But I can't regret anything now. I'v come a long way and have a long way to go. I'm a strong and smart person, just like Ralph said.

I looked around the luxurious room again. It was nothing short of a dream. I'd somehow gotten myself, a person from the slums of the Isles, into the heart of the wealthiest, strongest people on the continent.

I bathed in the pool and ate the delicious food Liz had brought. Then I fell into a deep sleep in the semicircle of plush pillows and nest of layered throws. And fell further into a dream.

Bell.

Bells.

Bells!

Hello. Who are you? How do you know my name?

Save me.

Save her.

Save us.

Save who?

You must be lost

before you can be found.

What does that mean? Who needs saving?

Look for your wind.

The flame needs help.

Guidance.

Look with clear sight.

They need your help.

My wind? What's my wind? Who needs my help? Is it the flame? Whos th-

Don't you remember your wind?

Your wind.

The breeze.

Listen for the wind.

How are you doing that? How are you circling me like that?

The wind will whisper in your ear

and taunt you.

It will caress you

with the idea of adventure.

It sings

with eager itch

of things unknown

and it will weave

up your sleeve

and dream

of its next breeze-

How do you know this?

Hush, child. This is all just a dream. You must wake up now. There is danger approaching.

What? What danger? I'm safe, am I not?

Wait, why is the ground tilting? Wait! Don't leave me!

Help! Help me! I'm falling! I'm falling!

AHHHH! HELP!