2 : love

"mou~ n/n, you're so tired these days!" dazai whined, draping an arm over my shoulder

"mou~ n/n, you're so tired these days!" dazai whined, draping an arm over my shoulder. i gave him a smile, but no reply. i was afraid that once i spoke, more petals would force itself out. seeing my lack of response, dazai pulled away and studied my expression.

"stop staring at her so creepily." chuuya voiced out, giving dazai a playful push to the side, him bringing my body closer to his.

my heart tightened.

"chuuya is mean." dazai said, sticking his tongue out playfully. dazai, pretending to be a simple, silly guy, but hiding secrets underneath. i had unraveled him, once, when he was at his lowest, and patched him up again with tender care.

and me, pretending that my life wasn't hanging on a thread, and that the thread could snap any moment now. but then again, did it really matter? we were all pretenders, in one way or another- our true selves hidden beneath a mask we deemed presentable to society.

"whatever." the ginger rolled his eyes, yet they were filled with adoration.

i coughed.

I couldn't control it, the force of each cough sending shockwaves throughout my body as i quite literally hacked up a storm. chuuya alarmingly went to my side, while dazai stood infront of me.

"y/n, you alright?" he asked, a gloved hand rubbing soothing circles on my back. i tried to respond, but i felt it. the petals, and blood. with one last cough, blood shot out from my mouth and onto my hand. i covered my mouth quickly, feeling the petals enclosed within.

i looked up, looking at their expressions. chuuya seemed to have noticed the blood, but not the petals. that was good. dazai-

dazai.

i froze.

he looked at me calculatingly, as if solving a puzzle. trying to map everything together, every symptom, every action i had done before. the tension of my body, the number of times i coughed, the blood that came afterwards. i was pretty sure that gears were turning in his head, but he would never find the answer.

i knew that he knew that something was terribly wrong, but why would he ever consider the option of hanahaki disease? consider the option that i loved them?

i looked down, covered my mouth, and swallowed the petals forcefully.

as they say, out of sight, out of mind.

DON'T: republish, copy, translate my work

IF: my work is on any other platform / you see another book like this, please inform me.