[12] Y/N misses George

Start from the beginning

"Some friend I was." Y/N murmured.

"Don't blame yourself, Y/N. You risked your life to save my brother and me. I mean, that was seriously brave. If I hadn't met you, I wouldn't have felt okay about leaving Nico at the camp. I figured if there were people like you there, Nico would be fine. You're a good guy." She glanced at Percy. "You as well. I bet a lot of people at camp look up to you."

"Even though I knocked you down in capture the flag?" Percy said.

She laughed. "Okay. Except for that."

A couple hundred yards away, Grover and Zoe came out of the coffee shop loaded down with pastry bags and drinks.

"So what's the story with you and Nico?" Percy asked her. "Where did you go to school before Westover?"

She frowned. "I think it was a boarding school in D.C. It seems like so long ago."

"You never lived with your parents? I mean, your mortal parent?"

"We were told our parents were dead. There was a bank trust for us. A lot of money, I think. A lawyer would come by once in a while to check on us. Then Nico and I had to leave that school."

"Why?"

She knit her eyebrows. "We had to go somewhere. I remember it was important. We travelled a long way. And we stayed in this hotel for a few weeks. And then... I don't know. One day a different lawyer came to get us out. He said it was time for us to leave. He drove us back east, through D.C. Then up into Maine. And we started going to Westover."

It was a strange story. Then again, Bianca and Nico were half-bloods. Nothing would be normal for them.

"So you've been raising Nico pretty much all your life?" Y/N asked. "Just the two of you?"

She nodded. "That's why I wanted to join the Hunters so bad. I mean, I know it's selfish, but I wanted my own life and friends. I love Nico—don't get me wrong—I just needed to find out what it would be like not to be a big sister twenty-four hours a day."

"Zoe seems to trust you," Percy said. "What were you guys talking about, anyway— something dangerous about the quest?"

"When?"

"Yesterday morning on the pavilion," Percy said. "Something about the General."

Y/N face palmed. "Good one Percy."

Bianca's face darkened. "How did you... Were you eavesdropping?"

"No! I mean, not really. I just—"

Percy was saved from trying to explain when Zoe and Grover arrived with the drinks and pastries. Hot chocolate for Bianca, Y/N and Percy, Coffee for them.

"We should do the tracking spell," Zoe said. "Grover, do you have any acorns left?"

"Umm," Grover mumbled. He was chewing on a bran muffin, wrapper and all. "I think so. I just need to—"

He froze.

Y/N was about to ask what was wrong, when a warm breeze rustled past, like a gust of springtime had gotten lost in the middle of winter. Fresh air seasoned with wildflowers and sunshine. And something else—almost like a voice, trying to say something. A warning.

Zoe gasped. "Grover, thy cup."

Grover dropped his coffee cup, which was decorated with pictures of birds. Suddenly the birds peeled off the cup and flew away, a flock of tiny doves. Y/N's rubber rat squeaked in his hands. It scampered off his and into the trees, with real fur and whiskers.