[8] Charybdis needs better braces

"You are in so much trouble," Clarisse smirked. "Tantalus expelled you for eternity, and Mr. D said if any of you show your face at camp again, he'll turn you into squirrels and run you over with his SUV."

"Did they give you this ship?" Percy asked.

"Course not. My father did." She shrugged.

"Ares?" Percy raised an eyebrow.

Clarisse sneered. "You think your daddy is the only one with sea power? The spirits on the losing side of every war owe a tribute to Ares. That's their curse for being defeated. I prayed to my father for a naval transport and here it is. These guys will do anything I tell them. Won't you, Captain?" The captain stood behind, looking stiff and angry. His glowing green eyes filled with a hungry stare.

"If it means an end to this infernal war, ma'am, peace at last, we'll do anything. Destroy anyone."

Clarisse smiled. "Destroy anyone. I like that." Tyson gulped.

"Clarisse," Annabeth said, "Luke might be after the Fleece, too. We saw him. He's got the coordinates and he's heading south. He has a cruise ship full of monsters..."

"Good! I'll blow him out of the water." She raised her chin in defiance.

"You don't understand," Annabeth said. We have to combine forces. Let us help you..."

"No!" Clarisse pounded the table. "This is my quest, smart girl! Finally I get to be the hero, and you two will not steal my chance."

"Where are your cabin mates?" Percy asked. "You were allowed to take two friends with you, weren't you?"

"They didn't... I let them stay behind. To protect the camp." Clarisse huffed.

"You mean even the people in your own cabin wouldn't help you?" Percy said.

"Shut up, Prissy! I don't need them! Or you!"

"Clarisse," Y/N said carefully, "Tantalus is using you. He doesn't care about the camp. He'd love to see it every cabin turned to rubble. He's setting you up to fail."

"No! I don't care what the Oracle..." She stopped herself.

"What?" Annabeth said. "What did the Oracle tell you?"

"Nothing!" Clarisse's ears turned pink. "All you need to know is that I'm finishing this quest and you're not helping. On the other hand, I can't let you go..."

"So we're prisoners?" Annabeth asked.

"Guests. For now." Clarisse propped her feet up on the white linen tablecloth and opened another Dr Pepper. "Captain, take them below. Assign them hammocks on the berth deck. If they don't mind their manners, show them how we deal with enemy spies."

.

.

.

Y/N woke to alarm bells ringing throughout the ship. He groaned and rolled around in his hammock, before promptly falling right out onto the floor.

"All hands on deck!" The captain floated by Y/N. "Find Lady Clarisse! Where is that girl?" He turned back to Y/N, who was getting up from the floor, groaning and muttering. "Get up. Your friends are already above. We are approaching the entrance."

"The entrance to what?" Y/N raised an eyebrow.

The ghost gave him a skeletal smile. "The Sea of Monsters, of course."

Y/N packed up his duffel bag, heading upstairs. He put one foot on the first step, before he stopped. There was a presence nearby, something that was familiar and unpleasant. Y/N felt his heart rate speed up. Now he was angry. And it was hard for Y/N to get angry. He clenched his fists. For no particular reason, Y/N felt like picking a fight. He wanted to punch a dead Confederate.