[1] Some cows invade the camp

Percy sat bolt upright, shivering in his bed.

"I hate nightmares." He mumbled. It was a weird one as well. Grover getting captured? Percy hoped it wasn't real.

Morning sunlight filtered through his bedroom window, painting his bedroom sheets. There was a knock on the bedroom door.

"Percy, you're going to be late!" Sally called. "Last day of school. You should be excited! You've almost made it.'"

"Coming," Percy croaked. He reached under his pillow, looking for a familiar pen. His fingers closed reassuringly around his ballpoint pen, Riptide. He put Anaklusmos on his nightstand and dragged himself out of bed. Quickly getting dressed.

Last day of school. He should have been excited. For the first time in his life, he had almost made it an entire year without getting expelled. No weird accidents. No fights in the classroom. No teachers turning into monsters and trying to kill him with poisoned cafeteria food or exploding homework. (It happens more than you think.)

Tomorrow, Percy would be on his way to his favourite place in the world. Camp Half-Blood. Only one more day to go. Surely, HE couldn't mess that up.

He had no idea how wrong he was.

"Percy, are you all right?" Sally asked.

"Yeah . . . fine." Percy murmured through a mouthful of food. She dried her hands, sitting down across from Percy.

"School, or . . ."

"I think Grover's in trouble," Percy said, cringing slightly. He knew that they didn't talk much about his . . . other life . . . He didn't want to worry her.

"I wouldn't be too worried, dear," Sally said. "Grover is a big satyr now. If there were a problem, I'm sure we would've heard from . . . from camp . . ." Her shoulders tensed as she said the word camp.

"What is it?" Percy asked.

"Nothing," she said. "I'll tell you what. This afternoon we'll celebrate the end of school. I'll take you and Tyson to Rockefeller Centre—to that skateboard shop you like."

Percy sucked in a breath. He knew they were always tight with money. I trip like that was a dream come true.

"Wait a minute," He said. "I thought we were packing for camp tonight." She twisted her dishrag.

"Ah, dear, about that . . . I got a message from Chiron last night." Percy's heart sank. Chiron was the activities director at Camp Half-Blood. He wouldn't contact anyone unless something serious was going on.

"What did he say?"

"He thinks ... it might not be safe for you to come to camp just yet. We might have to postpone."

"Postpone? Mom, how could it not be safe?" Percy exclaimed. "I'm a half-blood! It's like the only safe place on earth for me!"

"Usually, dear. But with the problems they're having-"

"What problems?"

"Percy . . . I'm very, very sorry. I was hoping to talk to you about it this afternoon. I can't explain it all now. I'm not even sure Chiron can. Everything happened so suddenly."

Percy's mind was reeling. 'How could I not go to camp?' He thought. The clock chimed.

"Seven-thirty, dear." Sally sighed. "You should go. Tyson will be waiting."

"But—"

"Percy, we'll talk this afternoon. Go on to school." Percy, opened his mouth to continue, but decided against it. She was right about his friend Tyson. Percy had to meet him at the subway station on time or he'd get upset. He was scared of traveling underground alone.