19. Addiction

"You dissapointed me for the first time Abhimanyu"

Manjiri's disapproving look and her words from last night still continued to replay in his mind as he sat on a bench nearby a roadside tea-stall, holding a lit cigarette between his fingers for the first time ever.

"You knew about Akshara and Yuvraj and yet....."

As soon as he returned from the club, Manjiri told him about the entire conversation she had with Yuvraj and the blames he had put on him.

She demanded the truth from Abhimanyu, wishing that the blames will be proved wrong with his just one word and yet he said nothing- letting her to assume whatever she wanted to while he just stood silently, not even trying to defend himself at all.

How could he defend himself anyways when that would have meant revealing the ugly planning of his brother.....alongwith the involvement of Akshara in the plan. How could he let Manjiri know the truth where Akshara would end up having a bad reputation infront of his mother for agreeing to do something like this?

He had sensed a beautiful bond forming between Akshara and Manjiri.....the only two ladies in his life that mattered to him.

And he had no intentions of ruining this bond ever.

He therefore chose to remain silent, accepting the hurtful words of his mother who had never talked to him in this tone before.

"I request you Abhimanyu......just stay away from Akshara. Please, just stop meeting her. Stop whatever you are planning against Yuvraj and don't complicate their story even after knowing that they both are in love with each other. Just stop it right here"

He wished that it was as simple as she said.....TO STOP IT!!

To stop falling for her everyday.

To stop caring for her with every breath he takes.

To stop hoping with his stupid heart that one day she'll choose him over someone else.

Love is a stupid concept......he knew it since the start and yet, he ended up falling in its trap.

He had always hated Akshara's one sided love for his brother and now he himself was a victim of the same to the extent of willingly letting her destroy him in the worst ways possible.

"I'm going to talk about their engagement soon with Harsh"

Her calm decision was the last thing he heard that night and he knew that it was a final attempt from Manjiri's side to put a wall between him and Akshara.....by declaring her engagement with Yuvraj to let him know that she belonged to someone else.

She'll never be his.

"You smoke?", a shocked voice from behind startled him for a moment as soon as he was about to press the cigarette between his lips.

He paused as he closed his eyes and took a deep breath once he recognised the familiar voice. It was Akshara who stood behind him with her arms crossed over her chest, staring furiously in his direction.

"I'll tell Manjiri aunty about it", she stomped infront of him in no time sounding dead serious.

"That's a funny threat Akshara..... remember we are not kids anymore?", he answered without a trace of humour as her gaze narrowed at him further.

"Don't you know smoking is injurious to health. It causes cancer"

"Thanks for the statutory warning", he scoffed slightly, faking a smile her way as he opened his eyes to have a look at her.