Chapter Thirty-Three

Rupert lifted his head when his office door opened. "Hi, Julie. Are you okay? You look like you've seen a ghost." He pointed. "Sit before you fall."

She held the back of the chair but remained standing. I'm not sure if you'll believe me."

Rupert sat back and thought for a moment. "Try me. I don't usually bite. Sit down. Want a coffee?"

She nodded and lowered her frame onto the chair.

He placed a mug of coffee on the desk in front of her. "Julie, I guess you want to tell or ask me something. Am I right or wrong.?"

Again, she nodded. "I'm not sure, guv. As you know, I'm studying for my sergeant exam, and my mind is everywhere."

He seated himself and leant back in his chair. "Is it to do with you returning the journals to the vicar?"

"She held her mug with both hands. "There's a picture of Joan Dickson on the incident board. It fell off when I entered the outer office. If you remember, she's wearing an opal pendant. Her husband bought it for her. I've seen that pendant. The vicar's housekeeper was wearing it."

"Julie, I have to ask this. Are you sure?" He left his seat, strolled to the outer office, retrieved the picture of Joan Dickson and returned. "Julie, take your time, but describe what you saw this afternoon?"

She sipped her coffee, "Double link gold chain, not too long, allowing the pendant to hang at the top of the bust. The opal was oval set in a gold mount, about an inch or larger in height. What grabs your attention is when the light strikes the surface. The colours of the stone displays are gorgeous.

He rubbed his chin. Your description is perfect. It's at this point I wish I'd sent Maggie with you. But then I didn't, and you returned unharmed, which is more important."

Julie shook her head. "Why can't we send a car to bring her into the station for questioning."

"I wish we could.I prefer the housekeeper to be a nasty piece of work, and I could get a confession. Think about it. The papers would have a field day. A deceased vicar's wife handcuffed and dragged into a police station. You've put the cat amongst the pigeons, and I need to think about the next move."

"You believe I saw the opal pendant."

"I do, but you understand the problem. We need to have a good reason to get a search warrant. We can bring her in if we find the pendant on the property. Until I've given this some thought, do not mention this to anyone. This may be the breakthrough we have been waiting for." He lifted his telephone handset and then replaced it. On entering the record storage room, he called to Maggie. "I'm going for a walk and don't know how long I'll be."

Maggie grinned. "Is it okay for me to shut up the shop if you're not back before closing?"

"Rupert took his time before answering. "Lock up and go home, Maggie."

"No problem, guv.

He grabbed his coat and briefcase, entered the lift, and pressed the second-floor button. When the door opened, he strolled to Joyce's office. With a knock on the window, he entered.

She gazed at him. "To what do I owe this pleasure? You've messed up or need to talk to someone who won't tell the world."

"Coffee?" I can multitask and pour two cups."

"So, my love, what is the problem?"

He placed her coffee on the desk and held his own.

"How do I get a search warrant for a vicarage when I have no evidence."

Joyce sat back and closed her eyes. "You can't, but I could try."

"I know I can't, and I'd rather you were not involved. As Max Bygraves often says let me tell you a story." 

He leant on a grey filing cabinet and told Joyce what he knew while sipping his coffee.

"Without any evidence, you're on a no-hoper. How about we, that's you and me, visit the vicarage first thing tomorrow morning. Let me do the talking. I will tell the housekeeper about Julie being so taken with her pendant I wanted to know where she purchased it. I'll tell her it's to be an anniversary present from you.

This was a light bulb moment for Rupert. "It's so simple it might work?"

"Have you a better idea?"

"Don't get me wrong, but we are asking a potential serial killer if she is guilty of murder."

"You always told me to keep it simple. Now, you can give me some advice."

"If I can."

"Do you remember the merchant banker Pete Mitchell? He stabbed my InspectorRogers. Well, he wants to meet and discuss options."

"I assume he's on remand."

She nodded.

"When his trial."

She frowned. The way the judiciary is performing these days in a couple of months. At best."

"Let the bastard sweat. If I were in charge, I'd tell you there were no deals to make, so don't waste your time."

"I'm sure if I find the time to visit, he'll pour out his heart and tell me a sob story. He is part of a crime syndicate who are into drugs, prostitution, protection, and more. If I could open a few doors and gain convictions, the boss could smile when completing his crime report."

Rupert smiled. "You don't need to crawl up his arse. You're better than that. Besides, you might want to retire in a few years and travel to far-flung places with me."

"You might be right. One thing is certain. I'll not make Superintendent with him as my governor. Did you know he believes male coppers are superior to women?"

"Everyone knows, and he might retire before you. Anyway, time we both went home. What's for dinner."What would you like, fish and chips or a Chinese?"

"Seeing I have a choice, how about a ruby."