Chapter Sixteen

Maggie parked in a car park away from the house

Julie gazed around. "Why stop here?"

"Believe it or not, most people do not thank us for parking outside their homes. It's incredible what stories erupt from the neighbours."

"But we are in uniform."

"I know, but trust me, it makes a difference."

Children were playing football further along the street, but they never gave them a look.

Fred Dickson opened the door before they rang the bell. "Come in. Can't have the neighbours staring. They still talk about Joan's disappearance. I'm sure one or two believe I killed her and buried the body in the garden."

Maggie slid her warrant card into her pocket. "Thank you for agreeing to see us."

Fred grinned. "Did I have a choice?"

"It makes life easier this way."

They trailed after Fred as he led them into the dining room. "Make yourselves comfortable. Tea, coffee or a soft drink?"

"You don't have to bother. This will not take long."

"Since your first wife left. Have you heard anything from her or her family?"

"I still don't understand why she left. We hadn't had a row. As far as I knew, life was normal, or so I thought. I bought her a top-of-the-range mountain bike for her birthday. Arm and a leg it cost me. She hated my job, being away most of the week. I would say we were like most people. Getting by with what we have

Maggie smiled. "She told the babysitter she was going to see the vicar. As you know, she lied."

"I was in Newcastle in my usual lodging, and she rarely told me anything."

"Would you say your marriage had problems?"

Fred shrugged. "No more or no less than most marriages."

"Could she have been having an affair?"

Fred grinned. "I doubt it. After the kids were born, sex was not part of her life. And to be fair, all I wanted to do after a long week was sleep." He stared at Maggie. "If you read the file in your hand, you'll find I've answered all these questions."

"I have read the file, but I prefer the answers first-hand. You can read statements two ways, and I'd hate to misunderstand anything."

"Your constable doesn't say much."

Julie made eye contact and smiled. "I'm here to learn, Mr Dickson, and to safeguard you and my senior officer. You could say I'm the official witness."

Maggie shook her head. "How's the driving school going?"

"Thanks to my wife, we are making a good living. Managed two holidays abroad last year. We have three cars on the road most days."

Maggie hesitated. "Why did you give up lorry driving?"

"When Joan did a runner, I had to look after my kids. I joined a driving school in town and worked all the hours I could. Managed to buy a second-hand dual-control car. With the help of Debbie, my wife built up the business. When the kids could care for themselves, we bought a new car."

"I'm pleased life worked out. It couldn't have been easy. Thanks for sparing us your time." Maggie stood, followed by Julie. "I'll recommend we close the file."

Fred rubbed his chin. "Sergeant, It has little relevance now, but I'll never understand. Joan and I had our problems, but she loved the kids. Her leaving as she did will never make any sense."