Chapter Five

Rupert drove automatically. Thirty days had elapsed since his retirement. The route he had travelled daily to the Blackwell police station. Today was his first civilian work day. He smiled as he drove into the same car park, and the space marked management.

He removed a box of personal items from the rear of his Volvo 850.

Stopping at the reception desk. "Morning, Sergeant Davis. My keys and pass should be here."

"Good morning, sir. Welcome back. I have everything here. I should warn you the top floor is full of storage racks, desks and chairs. You have a telephone in your office. Someone supplied tea and coffee along with mugs. You'll need some muscle to sort it all out. Call me when you have a plan, and I'll arrange for a gang of movers to do the business. The good news is the lift is now programmed for the top floor."

"Thanks. Thank God the lift is working."

The sergeant had been correct in his assessment. Three minutes later, he unlocked the double doors to his new world. On turning on the lights, a smile filled his face. Someone had been busy. Hard-wearing charcoal grey carpet covered the floor. White Venetian blinds fitted snuggly into each window recess. Large and unopened cardboard boxes littered the floor. New ceiling lighting illuminated the room. Everything needed for an operational records department appeared to be there. He shrugged, "Wish I knew where to begin. I can't even see my office. Ah, that must be it."

In the farthest corner, an area of stud walls surrounded the bare bones of an office. The space was more extensive than he had first thought, with four desks in the outer room and what he judged to be his office in the corner. Two windows allowed ample light into the space, while those in the partition wall gave him a great view of the desk space. He smiled at the sign above the door, County Record Officer.

He placed his box on the desk and began sorting out the contents. On his desk, he put the photograph of Joyce.

"Excuse me, sir."

Rupert turned to face a female sergeant. "Maggie Bell, sir." She held out her right hand.

"I'm the sergeant you requested, and I've a long way to go before I receive my pension."

Rupert looked at her slim figure. Her short blonde hair curved around her face. "Welcome to chaos, Maggie. You don't have to tell me, but I'm interested in why you volunteered for a life of mundane paperwork?"

"I heard you were to be the boss, and provided I do my best, you never give your staff a hard time. At worst, I can always return to complaints. I needed a change from working with arsesoles."

Rupert laughed. "We'll get on fine, and I'll forget what you said, although I know they exist, especially in HR."

"I have three possible staff members in the canteen waiting to be interviewed. I selected them from those who applied. Two civilians were about to be made redundant from the Crime Reporting Call Centre, and the other a police constable no one wanted."

Rupert rubbed his chin. "What do you mean by no one wants?"

She put her hands on her hips. "Julie tends to be a walking disaster and has been known to ask awkward questions. She is originally from Trinidad. I like her. She has spirit and doesn't suffer fools."

"Bring them up one at a time, Julie first, and I'll talk to her alone."

"On my way, boss. I'll bring the paperwork with me."

He stood for a moment, deep in thought, before finding two chairs. One he placed behind his desk, the other in front.

Maggie arrived ten minutes later, with Julie following. She knocked, entered the office and placed four files on the desk. "Julies is on the top, and if you want a laugh, mine is at the bottom."

"Maggie, it's not your job, but I could murder a coffee. Would you mind?"

She grinned. "No problem." She turned and beckoned to Julie. "Police Officer Julie Oddman, sir." She left, closing the door behind her.

Rupert picked up a file and opened it, scanning its contents. "Have a seat, young lady. You qualified as an officer three years ago and worked in several departments."

She sat with her hands in her lap. "If you don't want me, please tell me now, and I can return to being the dog's body in reception."

Rupert placed both hands on his desk. "The sergeant appears to think you're okay. Do you want to work for me or not?"

"Well..."

"Please answer my question."

"Are you racist?"

"No. You or your parents came from Trinidad. Why should that influence your work? I need my staff to work hard even when I'm not here. I require conscientiousness when you place a document in a file. I want to be able to find it. I'll need you and the sergeant to consider everything I need to investigate. Do the job you're paid for, and we'll get along like a house on fire. I suggest you go away and think about your future."

Julie folded her arms across her chest. "Is that it?"

He rubbed his hand across his forehead. "Your decision, Julie. I don't have to beg for staff. Return to where you believe they don't want you or decide. One more thing. A senior detective told me long ago never to believe what everyone else says is true. Think about it."

Bemused by Rupert's frankness, she stood and left his office.

Maggie entered the office. "Your cup of coffee, boss. When I passed her in the corridor, Julie did not look like a happy bunny."

Rupert frowned. "Thank you. That young woman has a large chip on her shoulder, which I attempted to dislodge. It's up to her what she does next."

"The two civilians, Wendy Fox and Linda Kent, are still waiting outside."

He sipped his coffee> "It's amazing how much better I feel drinking this. Send them both in."

Maggie left, and two women in their late thirties entered a minute later.

Rupert smiled a genuine smile. "Why do you want to work for me?"

The one wearing a dark green floral dress answered, "I need the money. My husband's a driver, and we can't survive on his pay with three kids."

"And you are?"

"Linda Kent, sir."

"A good honest answer. When can you start?"

"Tomorrow. The call centre paid us until the end of the week."

He turned to the other woman. "You must be Wendy Fox. Same question."

"I live with my mother, me dad bunked off years ago. She needs me and my money to survive."

Rupert stood, walked around to the front of his desk, and held out his right hand. "Welcome to the world of paper and forgotten evidence." 

"