The Art of Peer Pressure

Zoey Kingsley

"Good job, baby girl

"Good job, baby girl." He kissed my cheek and playfully smacked my thigh.
"I'll come see you after school?" He asked, pulling his shirt over his head. I nodded lightly in response, both too weak and too lazy to speak an actual reply. He chuckled as he hopped off my bed and stretched his arms. He slid his shoes on, and then just like that, he was gone.

You might possibly be wondering why we do this. Well in all honesty, I wish I knew.
Does anyone else know? Good god no! Wait...you don't even know.

So, let me break it down for you.

Jacob and I don't date. We aren't trying to commit. Well, he—we, aren't trying to be in a relationship. We just mess around.
It's as simple as that. We don't talk at school. I try my hardest to stay away from him and his squad, as he calls it, because they're nothing but assholes, including him at times.

You have to understand, the thing about Jacob is, he treats you one way in front of his friends and another way when you're alone.

When it's just me and him together, he has a heart of gold—so nice and sweet. He's himself. When he's with his friends, he is the complete opposite, and I for one, can't stand him. The whole gaggle of idiots diss every single person who walks by. Sometimes, depending on who he's with, I don't even exist. Other times, He's calling me names. Neither of the two are particularly enjoyable.

Now you're probably thinking, why are you still with him? Well, no. We aren't together. I've already said that.

Why do we still mess around? You wouldn't understand. You probably already think I'm an utter moron. You have to understand that once you're attached to someone, it's hard to let go. Very hard. You're on the outside looking in, so you have no idea what this boy does to me, how he makes me feel...

Now, how did everything start? Jacob probably doesn't remember, but I'll never forget. It started my junior year of high school...

I had never been so tired. It was at last volleyball season, and final tryouts were today. If I hadn't made the team, I would've been devastated.
They'd finally given us a break after training for two and a half hours straight. Though it was only a five minute break, I certainly wasn't complaining.

I grabbed my water bottle and sat down on the bleachers, unscrewing the lid and gulping down the icy liquid. My best friend, Aviana, came and sat beside me.