24

("Clip, clop, clip, clop, clip, clop...").

Lidia: 『 ... 』

Veronica: 『 ... 』

Shun: 『 ... 』

It was a long journey. We spent the whole night riding and hadn't slept at all. It was morning, and we managed to reach the forested hills of the Western frontier with Anton.

Something redeemable that I learned from the exhausting trip was learning to ride. I had to do it on the fly while Mrs. Aarden instructed me to fill in for her broken arm. I should also thank Tzar; he was very patient and faithful to me. He and Snel certainly deserved a break after running and walking for hours and hours.

("Clip, clop, clip, clop, clip−").

Veronica: 『 ... We've arrived... This is the place. 』

We stopped at a sign marking the end of the kingdom's territory, the inscription of which read only: "Anton", without anything more.

We continued advancing at a brisk pace; we looked around to see what we could find, if maybe there was some sort of sign, mark, clue, or something that would show us the path that would take us to Roef.

The three of us watched... or rather, the two of us... Shun had his head down and showed no interest in searching. Since he had to bury his brother himself, he was like that the entire way, completely depressed and without the courage to do anything.

But he wasn't the only one who was devastated; we were also very mournful. I felt great pain in my heart, and it seemed that I would cry again at any moment. I guess it was the same for Mrs. Aarden; she had lost her son and couldn't hide her enormous grief for him either. We were all discouraged, physically and emotionally.

We reached a point where the road descended from the mountains. Far away, we could see a beautiful backlit panorama, where a town rose above the fog-covered valley. It wasn't the capital, but it was large enough to be considered an important city in the country.

Lidia: 『 Is it there? 』

Veronica: 『 I don't think so. Roef never liked places with a lot of people. 』

Lidia: 『 Then where could he be? 』

Veronica: 『 ... Hmm...? 』

Mrs. Aarden turned to her right and found a tiny, almost invisible path that continued toward the top of the hill.

Veronica: 『 The right... 』

She remembered my father's strange instructions, which only highlighted that meaning. So, it seemed logical, or more or less. It was the only clue we had been given, so we took our chances and continued climbing rather than descending.

We reached a flat point in the bush, a fairly extensive clearing hidden among the dense orange forage trees. Right in the middle of the space was a small, well-built wooden hut with a single door and only three windows. Next to it was a small artificial pool of water where we could drink a bit.

Lidia: 『 Is it... here? 』

Veronica: 『 I hope so. 』

("Knock, knock, knock!")

We get off and approach the door; we knocked on the door three times, waiting for someone to answer. There was no response, just silence, indicating no one was home.

Veronica: 『 Hello?! Is there anyone home?! 』

Shun approached the pool and wet his face to wake up, although that didn't change his mood. He stared at his expressionless face reflected in the water until he reacted.

("Mmmñññiuuu!"), a strange squeaking sound from the back caught his attention. He stood up from the grass and walked to the back of the house.

Lidia: 『 Shun? 』

He didn't answer me; so I decided to follow him to see what he found. Behind the house was a small, plowed field and a tiny open tool shed with shovels, pickaxes, saws, and small boxes with more things.

To one side was a worktable with several wooden planks on it, and a strange instrument that caught my attention. I took it and examined it from all sides. On top, it had a strange handle that looked like a doorknob and another one shaped like a handle. It also had a screw on two steel plates, and underneath the surface had smooth grooves and a short opening that showed a pocketknife. It was the first time I had seen such a tool.

For his part, Shun examined the outdoor room. He became interested in a damp and soft corrugated cardboard box. He removed the lid and found a pair of fingerless leather gloves and a crumpled, yellowed letter. He opened it while I was still distracted by that unknown tool; he unwrapped the sheet of paper, but before he started to read...

 He opened it while I was still distracted by that unknown tool; he unwrapped the sheet of paper, but before he started to read

Hunter: 『 Put it back. 』

He put the things away and put them back in his place. Perceiving the situation, I hid behind the table and crouched down, to not be seen (if I hadn't been seen already). Shun didn't make any sudden movements and obeyed the orders of the unknown man who pointed the bow at him. He turned, very slowly, and walked out of the tool shed.

Veronica: 『 Children?! What are you do-?! 』

Hunter: 『 Ah...? 』

Veronica: 『 Roef? 』

Hunter: 『 Veroni−! 』

As soon as Shun's mother appeared, the hunter loosened the string, and his serious face was shocked. Shun took advantage of the fact that he lowered his guard, and with a fleeting movement, he knocked the man over and grabbed his bow, intending to take it from him. However, he didn't allow it, and they struggled with one another.

While lying on the ground, the hunter put his foot on Shun's abdomen and lifted him, pushing him back and falling on his back with a slap. The man quickly got up and tried to stick the arrow into his shoulder. Shun leaned over and dodged it, kicked him against the table, and again went at him and against his weapon.

They pulled at each other again, and Shun hit him with the same bow in the action. However, the man didn't sit idly by and returned it in the same way, with more force, pulling his heel with his foot to knock him down. He held the weapon like a wooden stick and charged towards Shun...

Veronica: 『 ROEF, WAIT! 』

Or almost does. He stopped halfway and turned to look at Mrs. Aarden, who explained who he was fighting with.

Veronica: 『 Roef..., it's Shun! 』

Hunter: 『 Eh...? 』

He looked at Shun and examined his face. He lowered his bow and took it off, stepping aside. There was a brief silence, which was broken with a sigh from Mrs. Aarden, who continued by formally introducing us to the hunter.

Veronica: 『 *Sigh*... Children..., meet Roef Willems. 』