17

Something dire was happening. I felt two strong tremors that hit the castle consecutively. I looked from my window at what was happening outside, and in the distance, dense trails of smoke could be seen in various parts of the town; several buildings and houses were in ruins, destroyed and burned by a mysterious force that struck them without warning. I could observe small groups of people, on a small scale, fleeing as quickly as they could from that devastation, either on foot or with their carriages, leaving towards the west road with too much haste and nervousness.

Soldiers moved everywhere in the front courtyard of the castle, some climbing the towers with various firearms and others placing enormous beams behind the door to keep it closed. It was then that I heard the warning from one of the towers' lookouts, and immediately, a huge rock hit them, making them suddenly fall along with the rubble more than 10 meters, being buried along with many others who were below. The cries of pain of those affected echoed where I was and generated a constant fear that shook my heart.

I moved away from the glass as soon as I saw the scene and left my room quickly to look for help. I descended the tower stairs without much concern and collided with someone who was climbing with the same urgency as me.

Veronica: 『 My lady! 』

Lidia: 『 Mrs. Aarden?! What is−?!』

Veronica: 『 My lady, we must go! 』

Mrs. Aarden had come to look for me in the middle of the emergency. She took my hand tightly and dragged me down the steps. I begged her to go a little slower, but she didn't slow down until another tremor made her stagger and forced her to stop.

Lidia: 『 Mrs. Aarden, what's happening out there?! 』

Veronica: 『 Forgive me, my lady, but I cannot comment on that. 』

Lidia: 『 Why not?! 』

Veronica: 『 It's an order from the king..., I'm sorry. 』

When I heard that, I got very angry; even though we were in the middle of a crisis, I could not help but think about how frustrating it always is to have secrets hidden from you, and even more so if it is your father who does it; and he was doing it again. I was already tired of living surrounded by deceptions and secrets that, supposedly, are to "protect my integrity."

For once, I wanted things to be explained to me as they are, without lies or covers that hide the truth from me, without leaving me excluded from reality. It was then that, for the first time, I took a different stance against Mrs. Aarden, abruptly released her hand with a jerk, and stopped suddenly.

Veronica: 『 Y -Your Highness, what are you-?! 』

Lidia: 『 Tell me! 』

Veronica: 『 Huh? 』

Lidia: 『 I won't move from here until you tell me what's happening outside! 』

Veronica: 『 But−! 』

Lidia: 『 No! I'm tired of people continuing to lie to me and not telling me things as they are!! Even a doll is told secrets and is also spoken to with sincerity and affection, but no one asks me how I feel or if I liked dinner; nobody even knows what soup I like!! So, for once in my life, I deserve to be treated differently and told things straight to my face!!! 』

Veronica: 『 ... 』

First Shun and now her mother, I felt a little bad for taking out my anger on her, but I had to say it; I had to make it known that I'm not a simple toy; I'm a human being who also has feelings, who suffers, who gets angry, speaks, and has her own thoughts, who deserves attention and to be spoken to sincerely. I was no longer a mere object, not for the King nor anyone else.