Epilogue

In the dimly lit observation deck of the Burj Khalifa, Emma stood alone, her gaze fixed on the night sky. It had been a year since Jenna's passing, and this was their planned destination, a place they had hoped to visit together. But tonight, Jenna was absent, her presence only lingering in Emma's heart and the box she clutched tightly in her hands.

As the night sky sparkled with stars, Emma's eyes welled up with tears. She remembered the countless nights she and Jenna had spent stargazing, searching for shooting stars. It was their special connection, a shared joy that had now turned bittersweet.

Before Jenna entered her life, Emma had often been consumed by an overwhelming sense of emptiness. Each day felt like a monotonous journey through a colorless world, where joy was scarce and genuine connections were few and far between. The weight of loneliness hung heavy on her shoulders, and she yearned for something more, even though she couldn't quite define what that something was.

Then, like a burst of radiant light, Jenna appeared. With her infectious laughter and playful spirit, Jenna brought a vibrant palette of colors into Emma's once-dull existence. Their bond blossomed into a beautiful friendship, and Emma found herself experiencing a profound happiness she had never known before.

However, life's unpredictable course took Jenna away from her all too soon. Jenna's passing left Emma with an emptiness unlike any other she had experienced. It was a void tinged with the memory of the joy they had shared together and the profound impact Jenna had on her life.

Jenna taught her what happiness was.

But in the wake of Jenna's departure, Jenna also taught her what sadness was.

Because you wouldn't know sadness if you hadn't already experienced happiness, because sadness, in and of itself, was the longing for past happiness.

Emma clung tightly to the box Jenna had left for her, cherishing every note and drawing as if they were pieces of her friend's soul.

Except now, the notes were marked by Emma as well.

"Hi, I'm Jenna Ortega. You can call me Jenna. What's your name?"

Hi, Jenna. I miss you.

"Good morning! I wish you a day filled with hope and healing. - Jenna"

Good morning. I miss you.

"I hope you find strength in the stars that light up the night. We're all part of the same sky. - Jenna"

It hurts, Jenna. I miss you. So much.

"I know we're strangers, but I hope you find solace in knowing that you're not alone. I'm here for you, even from across the room. - Jenna"

I wish you were still here. Even just from across the room.

"I'm sincerely sorry about the other day. Is there any way that I can make it up to you? - Jenna"

Is there any way that you can be here with me again?

"Hello again. I hope today brings you a moment of peace, even amidst the challenges. Take care, Jenna."

I hope today brings you back here with me.

Sometimes, in the quiet moments, Emma would find herself overwhelmed with a twinge of regret. It was a regret that gnawed at her heart, a regret born from the realization that she had initially ignored Jenna's heartfelt notes when they first met. She would question herself, wishing she had seen beyond her own walls, beyond the barriers she had unknowingly built.

Regret would seep into Emma's thoughts, whispering in her ear about the missed opportunities and the time wasted in not befriending Jenna earlier. She would replay those moments, those precious fragments of time when Jenna's presence was near, but she remained distant, unaware of the profound connection that could have been forged. The weight of those regrets would settle heavily upon her, casting shadows over the memories they could have created together.

But amidst the waves of regret, Emma would come to the profound realization that what she was regretting was not the lost past, but the lost future, not what had not been, but what would never be.

As Emma stood in silence, her gaze fixed on the night sky, a sense of peace began to settle within her.

It was in that tranquil moment, when the world seemed to hold its breath, that a streak of light cut through the darkness....a shooting star.

Emma's breath caught in her throat as she watched the celestial wonder trail across the heavens. It was as if the universe itself had conspired to send her a message, a symbol of Jenna's eternal presence. A gentle smile tugged at the corners of Emma's lips as she closed her eyes, basking in the warmth of that fleeting moment.

You kept your promise.

.

.

.

The end

Thank you much for all my regular readers, voters and commentator <3 I hope you like it even tho it's not happy endings 😔🙏🏻 *so sorry

Don't forget to check my other fanfictions, and I'll let you know if there's new fanfiction ❤️