Chapter one

Emma woke up in a sterile hospital room, her eyes slowly adjusting to the harsh fluorescent lights that illuminated the space. The stark white walls seemed to close in on her, mirroring the suffocating weight of her emotions. The faint beeping of the nearby machines served as a haunting reminder of the fragility of life.

As her consciousness returned, she pieced together the events that led her to this sterile hospital room.

She attempted to take her own life. Again.

But why is she still here?

The realization of her failed attempt, again, left a bitter taste in her mouth, intensifying the storm of emotions raging within her.

Her gaze wandered around the room, taking in the somber surroundings. The walls bore no personal mementos or cheerful decorations. A single window allowed glimpses of the outside world, though it offered little solace. The curtains were drawn, shielding her from the outside, as if protecting her from a reality she no longer wished to face.

As Emma tried to make sense of her surroundings, she couldn't help but notice the glass barrier separating her room from the one opposite. Through that barrier, she caught a glimpse of another patient's room.

In contrast to her room, that room emanated a warm and inviting atmosphere. Soft pastel colors adorned the walls, lending a sense of comfort and tranquility. Delicate curtains framed the window, allowing gentle streams of daylight to filter through. An armchair was strategically positioned near the window along with a telescope, providing a cozy spot for stargazing and contemplation.

As Emma's eyes scanned the room opposite hers, they unexpectedly landed on the patient occupying that space. A petite figure with middle-length brown hair, the girl appeared delicate and ethereal. Her pale complexion and slender frame suggested a unique beauty that was captivating.

But it was in her eyes that Emma found something remarkable. There was a glimmer of compassion, a spark of understanding that seemed to reach out to Emma in her darkest hour. Their silent connection spoke volumes, transcending the need for words.

A gentle smile graced the girl's lips, but instead of reciprocating the warm gesture, Emma averted her gaze. The corners of her lips tugged downwards, forming a mask of indifference.

She had grown accustomed to shutting people out, guarding herself against any potential pain or disappointment. In her mind, accepting kindness meant opening herself up to vulnerability, a risk she was unwilling to take.

The stranger's smile, filled with genuine kindness, faded slightly, but a flicker of determination remained in their eyes. It was as if they understood Emma's guarded nature and were prepared to meet her with patience and perseverance.

Emma's attention shifted away from the stranger, her gaze fixated on the sterile walls of her own room once more. Perhaps in that moment, she was reminded of the walls she had built around herself, walls that shielded her from the world but also isolated her from the possibility of genuine human connection.

As Emma woke up for the second day in the sterile hospital room, her eyes were drawn to the glass barrier separating her from the opposite room.

But something was different.

A small note was plastered on the glass barrier, capturing Emma's attention. The note was stuck on the other side of the glass, but its message was facing her room.

 The note was stuck on the other side of the glass, but its message was facing her room