Chapter 5 - Blake

I forced myself to go to second period solely because I had nowhere else to go. It's hard finding a good spot to skip class nowadays.

But lucky me, my english teacher gave homework and an assignment on the first day. I'm so happy.

I dump the book she assigned us to read on the table in the cafeteria, along with my bag and myself.

"Man, Summer was too short." Nick says as I situate myself next to him.

I grumble in agreement and greet the rest of the table with a simple nod.

Most of my teammates sit here, along with my best friend since third grade; Nick Winslow.

"Hey Blake, you ready to beat everyone's asses this season?" Ryan, our team fuckboy, asks me from across the table.

"As long as no one gets benched for petty shit this year, we're definitely winning." A sophomore down the table yells.

The guys laugh and pointedly look at Ryan and I.

Last year, I might've gotten benched for a couple games because I fucked one of Tess's friends, and there might've been a crazy bitch fight at our game over me. Ryan got benched because he "tried to break up the fight" but really just encouraged it because it fit one of his weird sex fantasies.

I lift a shoulder in a half-assed shrug, "No promises man. There's no telling what girl will be fighting over me this year." I smirk. The guys howl with laughter.

"Blake, you coming to mine after school? Rolled some fresh ones last night if you're down." Nick nudges me and whispers.

I shake my head in refusal.

Training starts next week, and I need to be on my A-game now that coach made me captain. It's a huge honor and something he can take away at any time; so i'm always being watched.

"You're always so boring when school starts." Nick sulks.

I laugh and slap his back, "Just because I can't have any weed doesn't mean i'm not down for other stuff. No need to be sad just yet, buddy."

Everyone starts picking at the food they got from the lunch buffet and they lapse into mindless conversation. I zone out and look over the cafeteria which taking bites out of an apple I swiped from Nicks tray.

Tess and her little minions make their way over to us, trays in hand.

"Hey boys." Tess says as she slides them a wink and sits next to me while her friends find spots between the guys.

Some of the guys — mainly the sophomores — gawk at Tess.

I inwardly roll my eyes.

Like yeah, there's no denying she's pretty. With her blonde hair, blue eyes, and slim figure, I can see why people fawn over her. But not me.

I can see she wants me, but i've never entertained the idea of us together. I don't want to hook up with her, and i've let her know this on multiple occasions, but she still flirts with me like i'm just playing hard-to-get and that one of these days i'll snap and give in.

"So Blake, you coming to figure eight later? I know some people from school are going — tiny back to school night, super low-key, and was wondering if you're going?" She leans forward and bats her eyelashes.

"We'll see." I say, noncommittally. 

My eyes are scanning the room again when I finally catch Cam walking in. She's by herself, looking hot in her jeans and t-shirt, and has a face of pure nervousness.

I stand, apparently interrupting something Tess was saying to me because she groans in frustration, and walk across the room to get to Cam.

Her nervous eyes glance around before they snag on me, and her face morphs into a pleasant smile that reaches her eyes.