Chapter 4 - Camden

My alarm wakes me up in the morning.

It's a loud, irritating sound that's there for the sole purpose of trying to actually wake me up.

If I made my alarm a good song, I would be letting it play while I sleep, which is not good for anybody.

I groan as I open my eyes and turn off the alarm, seeing that it's 6am.

Back home, I would've already been on the way to school at this time, but Creekwood High starts at 9 and Blake said it's five minutes away by car, so he told me not to stress.

I am stressing though.

It's my first day of school and I want to look presentable. I make a beeline for the bathroom, hoping Blake isn't occupying it, and when i see he's not, I sigh in relief and step inside.

It was hot last night and I feel sticky so I take a quick rinse before brushing my teeth and putting on my vanilla scented moisturiser.

My cheeks have the tiniest tint of pink to them from the shower which I hope goes away by the time i leave, because I cannot be looking flushed so early in the morning, it makes me look bad.

As I undo my braid from last night, I put some mousse in it to give my hair a bit of volume before I brush it and let the loose curls fall around my shoulders.

After i'm satisfied with everything, I go back to my room to get dressed.

I don't care about how I dress at school, because i'm there for learning, not to show off, so I just slip on a pair of blue jeans with a band t-shirt and my favourite sneakers.

I give myself one last overlook before grabbing my phone from the charger, and my school bag off the floor by my closet and making my way downstairs to the kitchen.

As I  walk inside, Julie is standing at the island making, what i'm guessing is, Ava's lunch while humming a song.

She's dressed in her pjs still — grey loose sweatpants and a satin tank top — with her beautiful blonde hair in a bun on her head and her reading glasses perched on her nose.

"Good morning, Julie." I say as I drop into a seat by the island.

She looks up with a smile. "Well good morning to you, hun. Are you ready for today?" She questions as she slides a plate stacked with pancakes in front of me.

"You didn't have to make me breakfast Julie, I'm fine with just an apple or something in the morning."

"Oh nonsense! You have to eat, my child. How else are you going to stay focused at school? come on, eat up." She calls her hands at me and shoves the maple syrup towards me.

I tilt my head in agreement before digging into my food.

"I think i am ready for today. I just hope everything goes smoothly." I answer her earlier question.

"Yes yes well i'm sure it will, Cam. You're a smart and extremely pretty girl. You'll make tons of friends and get good grades and be your usual amazing self." She shrugs nonchalantly and smiles at me.

"Way to talk me up, Mrs A." I laugh at her ridiculousness.

"Just telling you the truth, Cam. I mean, I've seen your transcripts before. You do amazing in school, you'll be absolutely fine."

I smile sweetly at her as I finish off my pancakes.

"And of course you'll have Blake with you. He can help you with everything you'll need." She says at the same time as Blake strolls into the kitchen, bag strung over his shoulder and his phone in hand.