Chapter 25: A calm wave called you

Hanni can't believe she agreed to this again.

She doesn't remember the last time she saw this big of a crowd, other than the national championship.

The end of the year ice skating championships took place a week after the swim national championships. The brunette agreed to performing a solo and a pair with her brother, showing her face to the ice skating world again after years when she suddenly disappeared from it.

If she had the choice all over again, she'd still pick swim-because without it, she wouldn't have met Minji, the people who she can call her brothers and sisters.

Everyone is excited to see the Pham prodigies back on the rink and Hanni is surprised that people still remember them.

She wears a sky blue bodices with a skirt, her dark hair slightly curled and messy. She waits for her brother to finish up dressing and makeup. Until then, the brunette will have to perform her solo first.

While tying up her skates, she slips on Merino wool over them. Hanni solely keeps her head down to avoid the huge crowd sitting around the rink. She knows that her teammates are in the crowd, ready to take photos and videos of her to turn her into a cherry red tomato.

She warmed up a bit before having to get ready and has been working with Rei to help her get back into what it felt like to be skating in front of an audience again. It isn't like she hadn't skate in a while, she actually did pretty often, as it still was another sense of escape. Although, she isn't certain that it'd be something in the profession range.

But doing this means a lot to her.

It proves that she's strong enough to touch back on a chapter that she struggled to flip to for so long. Hanni glossed over it so many times but it still somehow managed to give her a paper cut everytime she does. It's a reminder that it's memories destined to stay forever.

It's something she knew she had to face sooner or later, and now that she is, it doesn't feel so bad. There's people who helped her overcome those many fears.

Sitting up, she takes a breath, hearing the announcement for the halftime performance.

"I can do this." The brunette encourages herself, fixing her hair.

The staff member gives her a thumbs up, a sign for Hanni to approach the rink. The brunette bows her head in gratitude, walking over to the the door.

It suddenly goes silent, allowing for the announcer to speak into the mic. "Please welcome the first halftime performer, Hanni Pham." The announcer speaks and Minjeong is waiting in position in the middle of the rink.

The light dims and there's a spotlight on the brunette. She hears the subtle clicking of cameras as the silence takes over her.

The music begins playing, Hanni letting her body form a scooping motion from her shoulder. She opens up her body, soon skating around the rink. The brunette breathes carefully, switching directions as she gains momentum.

She takes off her left foot, the inside edge of her skate, lifting herself into the air, her first spin being a Salchow Jump. It's a quick motion before she lands on the right outside edge of the pick, extending her leg up and backwards.

She lands gracefully, earning a few claps before she begins freely skating around the rink. There's many turns, switching of direction she does, with a certain artistry she remembers being reminded that nobody could recreate.

The music is gentle, compared to her stage name. But winter can be gentle or harsh as she's learned.

Hanni's surprised at her ability to be able to control her flow of moment while skating around the rink in high speed.