Chapter 26

I woke up to angry voices. My pain was intense, not only inside, but out. I blinked several times to clear my eyes. Bucky stood there. He had a guard against the wall, his metal hand around the guards neck. I remembered him. He was the one who had beat me. I could hardly move.

What did you do to her?! Bucky was yelling.

Nothing I wouldn't do again. I will follow Hydra to the death.

Which is where you will be next! Bucky growled.

I saw him shift hands, so that his human hand was around the mans neck and his robotic hand was balled into a fist. I couldn't let him do it. He would live with the same regret and scars I felt. I gathered all my strength and ran.

My body rammed into the guards and we both went down. A small edge of Bucky's hand had slit my other shoulder, the one that hadn't been hurt when I had been beat. His fist hit the wall, creating cracks in the concrete. I grabbed the man roughly by the collar and pushed him against the wall.

Get out! If you ever come back, I cant guarantee that I will be here to save your worthless life. Now leave! I said.

I dropped him to the ground and he scrambled to get out the door. I turned and looked at Bucky. He was staring at the ground. When his eyes met mine, I broke. He looked like a child who had just been scolded for trying to help. The tears that had refused to come, came now. I pounded my fist against the wall as my body was wracked with sobs. I slid to my knees and buried my face in my hands.

Slowly, my body went limp. My sobs stopped. My eyes closed and stopped burning. I felt everything and yet nothing at the same time. Slowly, my vision went dark.