Chapter 19

I rushed over to Bucky. As I did, I knew what had happened. The realization hit me hard in the stomach. I closed my eyes and my fist striking something when I had been scared last night, played over and over again in my head. I opened my eyes. The purple bruise was still there. Right under his eye. He looked confusedly at me. My heart lurched at the vulnerability I saw there. Oh my darling Bucky. He could be so strong, so brave. But I knew the secret. He was just a scared little boy.

"I am so sorry,"  I whispered as I gingerly touched his swollen skin.

He grinned like a delighted child at Christmas.

"What?" I asked.

"Your hands are soft,"  he whispered.

"Oh darling. How can you be so sweet? I have bashed your face all up but you still manage to make me feel better. You are the most adorable person ever," I said.

"You are my hero dear. You stayed with the darkest human being to walk the earth. You have changed me in more ways than you will know," he said.

I sighed. I withdrew my hand from his face, but he captured it again. He begged me to tell him what the boss had wanted with me. I sighed and told him. He looked worried. He began to tell me what a bad idea it as to sass the boss, but I put my finger on his lips. I sat on his lap and rested my head on his shoulder.

"I know. Lets not talk. Let's just be for awhile," I said.

He didn't reply. He put his arms around me. I fell asleep to the beating of his heart and the calming rhythm of his breath