Chapter 1

Im pretty much fucked.

I'm a lot of things, but now I can confidently say that I'm stupid as well.

But would I do it again? Yes, yes I would.

If it got me off these horrible Isles, I would do pretty much anything.

***

A balmy breeze combed through my hair as I crept into my father's office. The window hung open as the sun began to sink below the ocean.

Soon. My father would be back soon. Even though he was gone, I couldn't help but creep with an assassin's silence.

His musty molasses scent layered the room as time slipped by. So I waited. And waited. And kept waiting. And anytime now the phone should hav- Ring, ring, ring,

I dove for the handle, "Hello! Thankyou for getting back to me. You don't understand how much this means to me-"

"Hello." A monotonous voice responded, "We are sorry to inform you that you have not been-" beep. I hung up. I was so sick of hearing those mass rejection voicemails. I only had one more chance.

Ring, ring, ring. It clicked as I picked it up again, "Hello?" I asked, tentatively.

It was his butler who answered the phone this time. "Hi! Is this Lilliana Greythorn?"

"Yes! Yes, this is her. '' Hope and excitement bloomed in my chest.

"We are excited to accept your proposal! You seriously don't know how thankful I am that she fits the criteria. We already dealt with the details in the last call?"

"Yes."

"And she'll be here in about five days?"

"Yes."

"The carriage will be there tomorrow."

"Okay."

"Okay, then. If you need anything else, you know how to reach us. We will see you soon. And again, thanks."

"It's my pleasure. But can you call me again in half an hour and just say the same things? I just want my dear husband to know as well."

The butler was confused, but obliged. "Sure. See you soon, then."

Beep.

I did a silent but enthusiastic cheer, pumping my fist in the air and jumping in circles. I was so, so stupid, but now I was finally free. Free.

I ran out the back door, not bothering with shoes as I sprinted to the strip of beach that the people of the slums hung around. Even as the sun was setting, heat pushed down along the wide coast. The sand dashed up as I ran, propelled by hope. "Sofia!" I called, "Sofia!"

There she was, gulping from a broken beer bottle and wearing shoes with more holes than fabric. The best any of us could get in this part of the Isles. "Sofia!"

Her eyes widened at my expression, and she shooed the other low lifes away from the area. After they left she asked, "What's gotten you so worked up?", she smirked, "Is it Ralph again?"

My smile hurt my cheeks, "No! I'm being sold off!" 

----------

Authors note:

Bet you didnt think she'd say that, did ya?