Chapter 134. It's A Terrible Life*

Start from the beginning

"Net probability aside, it's the client retention rate that concerns me vis-à-vis maximising return on sales. Buzz me back once you've seen the spreadsheets." I say into my head set but I keep staring over at Ana as she works, noticing she bites her lip when she's concentrating.

Then Mr Adler walks in as I take of my headset and walk up to him. "Mr Adler." I greet. "Dean." He says as he slaps me on the shoulder. "Good stuff." He says. "Good stuff?" I ask. "Big things. Good stuff." Mr Adler says and I smile. "Good stuff." I repeat as he looks over at Ana.

"How's the new assistant treating ya?" He asks me. I look over at Ana as a small smile appears on my face. "She's good. Great actually." I say as he notices my smile. "Oh I bet she is, you sly dog." He says playfully as he slaps my shoulder then chuckles.

******

Later, in the evening, I sit at my desk with my headset on talking into it, when Ana walks in. "Oh I hear you. No, I haven't been to the gym in ages. Carrying a little bloat around myself. It's a secondary lifestyle, my man, no two ways." I say as Ana places another set of paperwork on my desk. "Alright, tell me one more time. You said lemon and- what was it? Cayenne and maple syrup, are you serious? How much did you lose?" I ask as I see Ana roll her eyes.

"Really? Okay, well I'll have to give that a try. Okay, we'll talk later." I say and take off the headset. "Trying to lose weight?" Ana asks me. "Not really. But it wouldn't hurt to take off a few pounds." I tell as I pick up a piece of paper she set down and skim through it.

"Mmm." She hums and I look up at her. "What?" I ask. "Nothing, it's just...if you can still fit into your shirts, you don't need to lose weight. Plus, it doesn't look like you need to." She tells me. "Oh really?" I ask, the corner of my lips tilting up upward. "Yeah. You look better than most of the guys round here." She says. "Well thank you." I say, smirking as I put the paper down.

"If I were to say you had a great body, would you hold it against me?" I ask, raising my eyebrows and she smirks. "You been checking me out?" She asks and I shrug lightly. "Maybe." I say even though I have. "Well, it depends. Are you just being nice, or are you coming into me?" She asks with a knowing smile. "Depends, is it working?" I ask her and she laughs. "Could be." She says.

"So, how did your first day go?" I ask her. "It's been better than some of the offices I've worked in." She says. "Well, I hope I wasn't being to much of a hard-ass on you." I say. "Okay, maybe I misjudged just a little bit. Sorry for calling you a pretentious asshole." She says.

"Apology accepted on one condition." I say as she eyes me suspiciously. "And what is that?" She asks. "I take you out for coffee." I say and she chuckles. "Going on a date with my boss? Quite scandalous." She says as I stand up and walk to her. "We'll call it a getting to know each other." I say as I stand in front of her and she laughs. "Do you say this all your assistants?" She asks. "Only the pretty ones." I reply.

"Well, you drive a hard bargain, Mr Smith." She says sarcastically as I look at her. "Okay. I'll have coffee with you. I accept your meeting." She says and I smile. "How about after work?" I ask her and she nods. "I'll see you in the morning, sir." She says slowly as she turns to walk away, and a smirk comes to my face. "Goodnight, Ms Carter." I say as I watch it leave the room, smiling to my self.

******

I continued work for a little bit longer then put some files in a case and leave my office. I check my phone as I walk to the elevator, which dings. I enter, focused on my phone, then I look over at the other person in the elevator, who is staring at me; it's a young man, who's wearing a short sleeved T-shirt that says, Sandover Bridge & Iron Inc. Tech Support.