Chapter 76. Folsom Prison Blues*

Start from the beginning

"So...you wanna tell us where Ana is?" Henrikson says and I chuckle. "You think I'd sell out my girl? No way." I tell him firmly as Henrikson stares at me and lets out a small snort of laughter. "Well, we'll find her. For now...I'd say for you and your brother, screwed to hell is a major understatement." He says.

"Well, where there's life, there's hope, huh?" I joke and Henrikson makes a noise of assent. "See? That's what I was thinking when I was searching for your asses all over hell and gone." He says and he leans forward on the table, speaking softly.

"Your dad taught you well. The way you cover your tracks and after Milwaukee the way you..." he whistles and moves his hand to the side, mimicking disappearing. "...Vanished." He says and I laugh softly. "Near went nuts trying to find you. Ask him." He nods to Reidy.

"He near went nuts." Reidy says to me, deadpan. "And after all that, you get tripped up on a motion detector. Pretty rookie move. Gotta say I was...surprised." Henrikson says and I smile again.

Suddenly, the door opens and we look over at it as a woman, wearing a suit, walks in. "Dean Winchester?" She asks me. "In the flesh." I reply. "And you are?" Henrikson asks her. "Mara Daniels, Public Defenders office." She says as she shakes my hand. "I've been assigned you and your brothers case." She says to me before she looks at Henrikson.

"Are you Henrikson?" She asks him. "Yeah, and we're not quite done here." He says in a bit of rude tone. "Ah, yeah. You are. And if you don't mind, I would like to meet with my clients, privately." Mara says and I raise my eyebrows, smiling at Henrikson.

******

Later, Sam and I are sitting in the same room with Mara as she opens her briefcase. "Unfortunately your arraignment on the breaking and entering charge won't be until Tuesday." She says. "And they'll keep us in the county jail?" I ask her. "That's right." She nods.

"Green River County Detention Centre?" Sam asks. "Yes. And considering the charges you're facing, no judge in his right mind, is going to grant you bail." She says and I scoff. "Yeah, we figured that." I say. "Extradition papers have already been filed from five different states, Missouri and Wisconsin being the biggest concern- the bank robbery and the murder raps." She informs.

"How long can we stall extradition?" Sam asks her. "A week. Maybe less." Mara replies, shrugging and I nod as Sam raises his eyebrows at me.

******

The next day at the detention centre, the prisoners get out of the rear of the bus, along with me and Sam as we hold the chains to our wrists and ankles. "Alright, let's go. Watch your step. Come on, keep moving." A guard yells at us.

We walk past the front of the bus in a line and along the rec yard while prisoners line up against the fence and catcall at us. One of them points at Sam. "You're mine, baby!" He yells as Sam looks uncomfortable. "Don't worry, Sam. I promise I won't trade you for smokes." I tell him.

******

Us and the new prisoners, flanked by two guards and each carrying a blanket and a roll of toilet paper, walk down a hallway in a line. One of the guards unlock a cell door and the first prisoner in line and me enter the cell. "I call top bunk!" I say as my roommate scoffs and places his things on the top bunk.

"Okay." I mutter as I turn and watch Sam walk into the cell across from me. I see Sam nod to his very large roommate, who stands slowly and glares at him. Sam's eyes widen as he turns to look at me. The cell doors close on us as we stare at each other.

******

Later, at a cell block highway, we are lined up to be frisked by a guard, and scanned with a metal detecting rob by another. "My roommate doesn't say much- how's yours?" I ask Sam in a low voice as he stands behind me. "Just keeps staring at me...in a way that makes me...really uneasy." Sam replies.