Chapter 56. Crossroad Blues

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"Ow!" I exclaim as she glares at me. "Why were you flirting with her?" She asks angrily. "For the job. Don't be jealous baby." I say and she continues to glare at me. "You didn't happen to ask her if she's seen any black dogs lately did you?" Sam asks me as Ana looks away and out the window.

I hold up a page. "Every complaint called in this week about anything big, black, or dog like. There's nineteen calls all in. And, uh..." I say as I pull of a post it note. "I don't know what this thing is."

Sam takes it and reads it and laughs as he looks at me. "You mean her MySpade address?" He says smiling and Ana turns round sharply. "That's the same as her giving you her number." She grumbles annoyed. "Is that like some sort of porn site?" I ask with a smile. "Is everything in your world linked to porn?" Sam asks me annoyed and I smirk as I look at Ana. "When it comes to my girl, yeah." I say as Sam shakes his head and Ana rolls her eyes at me, obviously still pissed off.

******

After a while, we approach another white suburban door and knock. "I swear, if this is another freaking Pomeranian barking in the neighbours yard..." I grumble. "Aw, don't worry baby. I'll protect you from the little, bitty Pomeranian." Ana teases in a mocking voice and I playfully glare at her as the door opens to reveal a young woman.

"Afternoon ma'am." I say as we pull out our I.D's. "Uh, Animal Control." I tell her. "Oh, somebody already came yesterday." She says to us. "Oh, we're just following up. We're looking for Dr Sylvia Pearlman?" Sam asks and the woman lets us in.

"The doctor, well, she, I don't exactly know when she'll be back, she left two days ago." The woman informs us. "Okay. And you are...?" Ana asks. "I'm Ms. Pearlman's maid." She replies. "So where did the doctor go?" I ask. "I'm not sure. She just packed and went, she didn't say where. That stray dog, did you find it finally?" She asks us.

"Oh, not yet. You know, you didn't ever happen to see the dog yourself, did you?" Sam asks her. "Well no, I never even heard it." She replies as Ana looks around. "I was almost starting to think the doctor was imagining things, but she's not like that, so..." the woman continues and Ana turns to her.

"Hey, you know I read she was uh, chief surgeon at the hospital. She's gotta be what, forty two, forty three? That's pretty young for that job." Ana points out. "Youngest in the history of the place. She got the position...ten years ago?" The woman says.

"Huh. An overnight success. Ten years ago." Sam says as me and him walk up to Ana. "Yeah, we know a guy like that." I say as Ana looks at a photo. "Oh, look at this." She says as she holds up the photo and flips it over to show the writing on the back. "Lloyds bar." She reads giving us a knowing look.

******

We pull-up outside Lloyds bar and get out. As we walk towards the bar, I look to the side and stop in my tracks. "Hey." I say and they stop. "Yeah?" They ask. "That's weird."  I say as I point at the yellow flowers that are growing on the side of the road.

"What?" Sam asks me. "Think someone planted these?" I ask. "Middle of all these weeds?" Ana says in disbelief. "These are, uh, what do you call 'em?" I say as I look at the flowers. "Yarrow flowers." Sam says and I nod. "Yeah. Used for certain rituals, aren't they?" I ask. "Yeah, actually. Summoning rituals." Sam replies.

"Heh. So, two people become sudden successes about ten years ago. Right around the time they were hanging out here at Lloyds." Ana says as we look around to see we're in the middle of a crossroad. "Where there just happens to be a crossroads." Sam says as he turns to us. "You think?" He asks us. "Let's find out." I say.

I walk to the centre of the crossroads and look around, measuring. "This seem about dead centre to you?" I ask them and they nod. "I dig a few inches into the hard soil and hit something solid. I stop. "Yahtzee." I say as I drop the shovel and dig with my hands, pulling out an old rusted box.