CHAPTER XIX: Sacrificial Lamb (Castiel)

Почніть із самого початку

"No, no one's gonna resign," I cut her words short as I shook my head. "At this point, resignation means admission no matter how we spin the story. We better fight until the bitter end than wave the white flag. The odds are a bit low for us, but I would rather gamble with our chances."

"But Cas, can't you see it?" Val asked me with a resigned look on her face. "It's over. No matter how slim the chances are, they're not gonna magically improve tomorrow or in the coming days. This is it. We can't be in denial any longer."

"We still have Fabienne," I reminded them, darting my gaze between my two fellow officers. "Just give her a couple of days to change minds. Her voice has weight. The students will listen to her—"

"Here we go again," Priam interjected. Heto na naman siya. "I told you that I do not want her dragged into this mess. She has already suffered and done enough for us. Let's not place our salvation in her hands. Let's not give her that burden."

"She can't save us, Cas," Val added with a slowly shaking of her head. "We're the only ones who can save ourselves. Also, Priam has already made his position quite clear. Irespeto natin 'yon."

She's right. No, not about Fabienne being unable to save us, but us saving our own skin.

It has come to this point, then.

"You still have me," I blurt out in a serious tone. Palipat-lipat sa kanila ang tingin ko. They shot me with a bewildered look on their faces.

"You have already done enough, Cas," Priam replied. "I appreciate your efforts in keeping us afloat throughout this ordeal. But Val may be right. This is it. We need to weigh our options and choose the one that will allow us to leave with a bit of our dignity."

I let out a soft chuckle. "You seem to not understand what I've said. What I meant is you can use me as a sacrificial lamb."

"What?!"

"Are you serious?"

I gave them a firm nod. There was no one else who could play that role best. I was the one who created this mess. I was the one who dragged them into this mess. So I must be the one to clean up the mess. I had it coming anyway. I knew that it was only a matter of time.

"My priority is to help you keep the throne," I added. "I will do whatever it takes to make that happen, even if I have to sacrifice myself. Besides, I have already offered my resignation twice, and twice you rejected it. Now's probably the best time to accept it. Let me take the bullet for you."

"But you're an integral part of this council!" Val almost yelled at me, slamming her palms on the table. "Hindi puwedeng mawala ka rito!"

"Don't worry, I won't be gone for real," I assured her. "I will still be here for you, rooting for you, and guiding you from the sidelines. But I may have to distance myself from the council. Ayaw kong mamantsahan pa kayo sa dumi na dala-dala ko."

Being an outsider would diminish my direct influence over the council, but I was confident that they would either seek or heed my advice. Puwede ko pang ipagpatuloy ang laban kay Alaric the Prick mula sa labas. Magkakaroon ng pagbabago, pero hindi sobrang laki.

"What do you think?" Val turned to the president. "Are you willing to let him go even if he will be more effective inside than outside?"

Priam only shot me a lingering stare. Any student officer who wanted to salvage their image and fight for their political survival would agree with me in a heartbeat. Who wouldn't want an scapegoat that could instantly solve their problems, right? But Priam was not one of them. My bold declaration must have given him a dilemma for a minute.