I smiled and let out a small huff through my nose. He's right. As long as I can help Daryl through this without being physically there, that's what's important to me. And I have so much family on this side to help me on my end.

"Thanks, Big Red," I said with a smile, wiping the final tears away from my cheeks.

"There's a reason I call you Sarge," he reminded me. "Nothing will ever change that. Now, let's get you outta this Willy Wonka factory of sadness and get you out."

"Hey, this is my own house, asshole," I chided as we stood.

"Yeah, yeah," he played along as we walked downstairs together. "Go get some fresh air, Sarge."

I walked through Alexandria again. It was strange but felt like home. I felt so comfortable here like this. It made me wonder if I'd ever "cross over", or whatever it is, I guess.

I visited the cemetery again. To my surprise, Carol, the King, and Jerry had come from the Kingdom. I guess the word got out. Rick probably told the other communities. It was sad to see their expressions. I wish there was a better word but that's all it was: sad. Carol was like a mother to me, we've been together since the beginning. I could only imagine how hearing the news must have gone. King Ezekiel admired my bravery and positivity despite how horrid this world had become. He would always make sure to express his gratitude for anything I did for him or the Kingdom. And Jerry, well, he was the coolest dude I'd ever met in the apocalypse. He was like a brother to me. It pained me to see him cry standing by my grave.

"She was a real dude," Jerry said. "Most badass girl-dude I've ever met." Carol and the King nodded.

"She was a true hero. A natural leader," Ezekiel added. "But we mustn't let this loss defeat us. We must use it to bring the communities even closer together. That's what she would have wanted."

"She was the bravest woman I knew," Carol continued. "I considered--" she paused, sighing and wiping the tears from her cheeks, "I considered her my daughter." The trio remained silent after that, the heaviness in the air tangible. "I'm gonna go check on Daryl," she said before turning and leaving the cemetery.

I walked alongside Carol down the street. Her head was down, watching her feet take her towards my house, arms wrapped securely around her torso. Daryl wasn't at the house when I left but, then again, I have no perception of time here. It could've been hours since he left and he was back now. I guess it was a good place for her to start.

"Thank you for checking up on him," I spoke despite knowing she will never hear me. "If anyone's checking, I'm glad it's you."

So together we walked down the street to the last few houses of Alexandria. Our house wasn't in the most convenient of places but we loved our seclusion. It was almost like we were living in the forest. Just me and Daryl.

Carol knocked on the door and waited patiently. I stood beside her, watching as she continued to process everything. Her eyes snapped up when she heard movement behind the door.

Daryl opened the door and was surprised by his visitor. He looked better than how I found him yesterday...barely. I knew this was going to take a lot of time. Hell, he may never get over it, but I know right now is the hardest.

"Hey," he said, leaning against the door a bit.

"Hey," Carol replied. "Surprised you answered the door." Daryl chuckled.

"Yeah."

They were silent for a moment. He knew why she was here. He wanted to talk about it but didn't want to bring it up anymore.

"I'm sorry," Carol broke the silence.

"Thanks," Daryl muttered. "Me, too."

He stepped onto the front porch, closing the door behind him. They hugged each other tightly, both letting a few tears slip from their eyes. Daryl needed this. I'm so glad he's accepting the help everyone is trying to offer. The group understood the type of relationship Daryl and I had so they understood how difficult this is on him.

"How long're you here for?" Daryl asked as they pulled away from each other. Carol shrugged.

"Until Ezekiel decides to leave, I guess." Daryl nodded slightly, unknowing what to say. "How're you holding up?" she asked.

" 'M alright."

"You know you can't lie to me, right?" Daryl chuckled again as he turned to lean against the railing. He glanced down briefly before meeting Carol's eyes.

"This is the worst fuckin' thing I've ever had to deal with," he admitted. Shaking his head and with teary eyes, he added, "I never even got to say goodbye."

Hearing him admit this broke my heart. His "I love you" was more than enough. I wouldn't have wanted him to say anything else.

"But you were with her the whole time," Carol reassured him. He just nodded. "What did you say?"

"I told her I loved her. I don't even know if she heard me say it."

"I heard you, Daryl," I cried as I stood next to him. God, I wish he heard me now.

"She never liked goodbyes," Carol said. "I'm sure if she heard what you said, it'd be enough for her."

"But what if it's not for me?" he asked, looking Carol straight in the eyes. She frowned for a moment.

"Think of it this way; goodbyes are permanent. I know that we lost her but saying goodbye would've been like leaving her in the past. She's still gonna be present and we're gonna keep her legacy alive. She's created a foundation in all of us. Saying goodbye would just...close the door on her. She's still here, Daryl, just not physically."

Daryl took this all in, slowly beginning to accept his last words. He wiped his tears away as he thanked Carol. They talked for a while on our front porch until the King and Jerry told Carol they needed to head back. She made Daryl promise to talk to Rick if anything happened. She didn't want him alone during all this. Better yet, she knew I didn't want him alone.

That night, before he fell asleep, Daryl sat on the edge of the bed fiddling with his necklace. I went and sat in his lap, making him stop what he was doing. He looked up from his hands.

"B?" he asked. I knocked once on the bedside table. He smiled. He looked so relieved and it warmed my heart. "Just can't leave me alone, can you?"

I knocked twice.

"Even though you said goodbye?" he asked, referring to his dream. Remembering that brought back the guilt. Still, I knocked twice. Daryl placed the necklace back around his neck. His brow was furrowed which meant he was thinking about something.

"Belle," he started, "I know jack shit about what you're going through, but...I want you to be happy. I don't want you to worry about me or Alexandria or anything anymore. You were taken because of violence. You should be able to live peacefully now. So, I'm gonna ask one final question so we can both move on."

His words broke me and warmed me at the same time. I knew he wouldn't dare to let me go, but he was trying to find peace with everything. He was doing this for me. He didn't want me to be stuck in his world where everything is sad. He wants me to be at peace. He knows that if I am, he will find his.

"Did you hear my last words to you?"

He seemed to hold his breath waiting for my response. It was something so simple but meant the world to him.

I knocked once.

He let out the breath he was holding. Tears escaping his eyes but with a smile on his lips. He knew I heard him. That's all he needed.

"You will always be my Belle Dixon."

Knowing he'd never hear me, I told him, "Thank you for trespassing on my father's property when we were kids."

** the end **