The Other

** Alexandria has won the war and is rebuilding their lives back in their community **

"Either your head or your heart, you set the other on fire."

"And finally, we're gonna need someone to keep an eye on Negan," Rick said, giving out the next job. Everyone's eyes shifted between one another, no one wanting to claim the task. "I know that no one wants to do this, but we have to make sure he stays in line. There will be a guard in there with you at all times."

Still, everyone kept their mouths shut. I studied the way each of us avoided eye contact with Rick. It was just like school; when the teacher asked a question and you looked away hoping they wouldn't call on you.

"I don't wanna have to pick someone but I will," Rick added.

Silence.

Rick sighed, rubbing a hand down his face.

"I'll do it," I said, no faltering in my voice.

"No way," Daryl countered. I just shot him a look that shut him up pretty quickly.

"Are you sure this is what you want?" Rick asked.

"Positive. But I work on my terms. I'm in there alone with him, I go when I want, and what happens in there stays between me and Negan."

There were small bouts of murmurs among the people as I said this. I knew this was tricky and it was the complete opposite of what Rick wants, but this is how it's going to work with a man like Negan. He's not stupid.

"We're doing this so that we have the upper hand on him."

"This ain't my first rodeo, sheriff. I used to do this. He is my client and I'm protecting his confidentiality."

"He's our prisoner, Belle. He killed our people," Rick stated angrily.

"He is my client and I'm protecting his confidentiality," I spit back. "That's how it worked in the legal system. This is no different."

Rick let out an angry sigh, thinking this over. I knew he'd be against it, as would everyone else, but no one can get to Negan the way I can. I'm not even trying to be a narcissist on this, either.

"It's my way or no way because no one else wants this job. You want peace? This is how we make it."

Rick and I shared a fuming gaze for a moment. He really didn't want this and I knew that well. This would probably cause an uproar throughout the communities, or at least Alexandria, but that's my own problem. Negan's just a puzzle that needs to be worked out.

"Fine. Your way. But if anything happens, I'm taking you out and putting someone else in," Rick finally agreed.

The people of Alexandria talked and shouted over one another as we finished up the meeting when my job was finalized. I got lots of...colorful phrases and questions thrown at me as I exited the building. I'm sure I'll be getting them for quite some time.

"What, are you fucking crazy?" Daryl angrily asked once he finally pushed through the crowd.

"No one else wanted it," I retorted.

"How are you gonna handle this, huh? You are the most sensitive person I know."

"Okay, ouch."

"You know what I mean." Daryl paused for a moment and sighed, placing a hand on my shoulder. "Look, I get you wanted to fill the space because no one else did, but he hit you close to home more than once. How are you gonna keep it together?"