Rocket Man

** Belle and Negan have been meeting on a very regular basis **

"I'm not the man they think I am at home."

"Can I ask you something?" I tilted my head slightly as I asked Negan this.

" 'S your time, doll. Do what you want," he said.

"Why'd you name your bat Lucille?"

Negan was quiet for a moment. His lips were still pulled into his typical smirk but he seemed a bit taken off guard.

"Named her after my wife," he responded, his voice was gentle.

"Which one?"

"My first."

His tone of voice was somber. He sat with his usual laid-back and comfortable aura about him but his shoulders slumped a bit more. I wonder how far I can push this.

"So you wrap a bat in barbed wire and name that after her instead of wearing a ring?" I questioned. Negan huffed out a small laugh.

"She was a feisty one."

"Sounds like she was perfect for you," I commented. Something flashed in his eyes as I said this. He averted his gaze to his lap.

"Yeah, well, death is a real son of a bitch, ain't it, doll?"

I watched Negan curiously. The subject of his wife was something he hadn't processed. At least not healthily.

"How'd she die, if you don't mind my asking."

"Cancer really is one nasty motherfucker," he sighed.

Thoughts of my father flashed through my head. Yeah, and did I know that. It makes sense that he hasn't processed it well.

"I'm sorry to hear that," I consoled. He just shrugged.

"Was a long time ago. Nothin' anyone could really do."

"Tell me about her."

Negan glanced at me for a moment before looking back at his fumbling hands.

"She was a real badass," he said. "Super smart. Incredibly hot. Loved her 'til the day she died."

I hummed at his response, staring intently at the man behind bars. We were both quiet for a moment, neither finding the silence uncomfortable.

"I figured we've known each other long enough that you'd tell me the truth," I told him. This caused his eyes to snap up at me. "You know how I know you're lying? Because you're so comfortable with your story. So what happened?"

Negan chuckled briefly. He was always amused when I took this job seriously from time to time.

"That's the truth, doll. Don't know what you want me to fucking tell you."

"There's more, though. You can't have a wife, someone you shared a life with, and that's all you have to say."

Negan huffed out a small chuckle once again, looking down before meeting my stare again.

"Was she upset with you?" I asked.

Negan's demeanor shifted at my question. His stare was colder, angrier. I hit a soft spot. Bingo.

"I told you the fucking truth, doll," he insisted.

"Why was she upset with you?" I pressed.

"She wasn't."

Negan began to raise his voice. He angrily stood from his bed, giving me a harsh stare. I rose from my own chair, meeting him at the bars.

"Why was she upset with you, Negan?"