A.M.

** the beginning of the end**

"Won't you stay 'til the a.m.? All my favorite conversations always made in the a.m."

Everything about today was peaceful. We didn't have many run-ins with walkers, the weather was nice and warm, birds were chirping. Best of all, I was with Daryl. Sure, we've been together all the time, probably a bit too much, but every day I could spend with him was always a blessing. We were fairly close to Alexandria but still had a ways to go before getting back home.

We were quiet as we made our trip back, finding the silence comfortable. The air felt extra breathable. It was blissful. Serene.

My footsteps slowed and eventually stopped when a sharp and burning pain erupted in my stomach. Glancing down, I was horrified. I felt all the warmth leave my body. Where did it come from? Who did it? Why didn't I hear it? I placed my hand over the damp cloth of my shirt, staining my skin, soaking into my pores. I got shot.

"Daryl," I called, my voice frail, wavering, just plain sad.

When he turned around, the look in his eyes broke me even more. There was no better word to describe his expression than shock. I mean pure shock. We had absolutely no clue who was out here, but they must have had a silencer. There was absolutely no sound. It was peaceful a minute ago.

I fell to my knees, pressing my hand tightly to my stomach. Daryl dropped his bow and immediately was at my side, holding me tightly. He helped me lay over his lap. His hands were shaking, his breathing sporadic. This is the first time I've ever seen Daryl panic.

"What the hell happened?" he asked angrily. I knew he wasn't angry at me. He was scared, which is something he doesn't experience often.

"I don't...I don't know," I replied.

Fear was something I learned to grow accustomed to. It was primarily the fear of walkers, although it shifted to fear of other groups once we hit Terminus. But, through this, the fear never scared me. I'd come close to death before and I wasn't scared. This, however, terrified the shit out of me.

"We...we need to get you back. We aren't far. We can make it," Daryl rambled. His eyes were roaming the woods around us. He needed to know who did this. I knew he wouldn't find closure until he did.

"We're still an hour away, Daryl."

"We can make it," he repeated. It hit me then; he needed to keep saying it for reassurance because we had no idea if I would. I shook my head.

"We're too far, D."

"No...no, don't say that." Tears began forming in his eyes, an occurrence I can count the times I've seen on one hand. "Please. Can you walk at all?"

"I'll just slow you down."

"Then I'll carry you for God's sake!"

"Daryl--"

"Please, Belle. We can make it."

"Goddammit, Daryl, it hurts," I whimpered. My body twitched and jolted in pain, the burning sensation has spread throughout my entire stomach. I was losing blood fast and we both knew it.

"Please," he pleaded again, repeating the only phrase he could hold onto, "we can make it."

"If I go, I'm doing more physical activity which raises my heart rate, causing more blood to be pumped through my system. I could lose it faster."

Daryl was growing frustrated. He needed security. He needed to be sure I would be okay.

"I'm not letting you die here. We can make it to Alexandria. I don't care what I have to do to get you there. We're going home, Belle. I won't let you die. We are making it out of this damn world together so will you please just shut up and let me do this?!" He was shouting by now. I stared up at him through tears, he did the same down at me. "Please," he continued. "I won't lose my wife, the one woman I love. I can't. I can't."