Ch 17

End of Volume I-Love is a Dagger

"I still can't believe you left this old woman to guess.", the royal mother said exasperated as she drank tea.
"Please forgive this consort, Your Highness.", the noble consort said.
The empress dowager squinted her eyes at the subtle smile on the male consort's face but didn't say anything on that matter and smiled instead, "However, I understand why you did this."

"It's only naturally your Highness would understand. Royal mother is the most intelligent in the harem.", Yaozu smiled.

The empress dowager eyed her son-in-law when Gugu Wan entered to deliver some news.

"Your Highnesses, the investigation is over."

The mother-in-law and son-in-law both stood up after hearing the words they had been waiting for days.

"What's the verdict?", the empress dowager asked.

"Noble consort Yi is freed from confinement and the culprit is to be sent to the cold palace."

The two royals raised their eyebrows and looked at each other.
Was Noble Consort Yi right, after all?

                        ************

Yaozu stared at the starry sky with empty eyes as Meihui brushed his dark brown hair.

"Your Highness, are you disturbed after this incident?", Meihui asked softly after saying the sudden mood change of her master.

"I am.", He sighed "But not so much as I was the first time."

Meihui nodded, even, though she was surprised.

After getting his hair brushed and lying down on his back, Yaozu moved toward the opened window and closed it after a last look at the lonely star.

"I knew Beauty Yan wanted to bring honor to her family and make as many connections as possible, however this..was unexpected, to say the least.", Yaozu said softly with a frown.

"I understand what Your Highness is saying. Her motive is still unknown.", she replied calmly.

"This is strange."
Yaozu felt like the empress dowager knew something as well. But it's just his intuition.

"Indeed, there's something we're not aware of yet.", Meihui said.

Any response from Yaozu was left unsaid when a royal presence was announced,

"Your Highness, his royal highness prince Wuxian is here."

The duo shared a look before Yaozu affirmed,

"Let His Highness enter."

The two bowed to the prince, still uneasy with the sudden visit at such a late hour.

When the light brown eyes of the prince met the black abyss of the noble consort, something triggered in his mind and his body stopped responding for a while.

Yaozu watched the rigid prince with a nervous glint in his eyes.

"Zu'er?", the soft voice of Wuxian rang I'm the chambers.

Yaozu only smiled, he felt content.

It felt good to be recognized and treated fairly, after the years they spent together.

Wuxian frowned but his eyes remained soft,
"You're the infamous male consort..?"

Yaozu chuckles," One really put their soul in those tales."

Wuxian relaxed slightly," I'm relieved that's you..", he said in a low voice.

"Hm?"

"I came to discuss the incident."

"Ah, is something I should know?", Yaozu asked.

"Yes.The incident.Has deep roots, in case you found it odd and want to investigate."

It seems Yaozu was right again.

"I see.", Yaozu smiled," Well, would you like to have some tea, so we can have a chat? We haven't seen each other in years after all.

The prince smiled gently," I would like to, however, this hour isn't the best to have tea with a consort of the emperor."

"Tomorrow then?", Yaozu smiled.

"It will be my pleasure.", the prince smiled.

****************

The prince kept his word and had tea with the noble consort.

Unfortunately, many got word about it, and soon the whole palace was aware of it.

"Do you really think noble consort Yi and Prince Wuxian are having an affair?"

"Well, could there be another explanation?"

"Are you that thick? Why would they be so obvious about it if that was true?"

There were different opinions on the matter but all of them seemed to fall on deaf ears when it came to the emperor.

"I won't listen to such unauspicious tales any longer, anyone who dares speak such outrageous words about my noble consort and brother would be punished, be them, servant or concubine."

And the head eunuch was happy to comply of course.