Ch.10

Yaozu felt so tired, no not tired, he was drained of energy. It felt like he had been working himself  out and his body couldn't take it anymore.
He had to use half of his remaining strength to open his eyes.

"Your Highness...?", a thin voice was heard from Yaozu's side.
The male consort slowly turned his head and the tired pair of black eyes met a glossy pair of black eyes.

"...Meihui..?", the noble consort barely uttered, too exhausted to say more.
The young girl gave her master a gentle smile as tears rolled down her cheeks and her eyes softened.

"Your Highness...I was so scared. Master and madam were scared too...We all thought your Highness is not going to make it.", the girl spoke in a shaky voice from crying, couldn't take it anymore.

Yaozu on the other hand, was utterly confused. He only remembered drinking some tea and all went black.
He got an idea of what happened. But he's not sure of the actual events.

What bothers him the most is that this never happened in his past life. But then again, he was never a noble consort and there was no maiden selection either in his past life.

"Call the physician quickly!", the young gugu instructed the other maids in the chambers before turning her attention to the male consort again.

"Your Highness...I'm so happy that you're finally awake..", the crying of the maid surprised the consort a little.
Meihui was a very calculative and calm lady. It wasn't strange, as she was the only support of her family.

Even though it may seem weird, her words and tears warmed Yaozu's heart. It was the first time his chest felt so light in a long time.
He didn't feel this warmth since he was little. Before he became dependent on his medicine.

It's true, his parents loved him. They are caring and can't refuse any request from Yaozu now, but there was a time when they didn't show him this much love.

Yaozu smiled widely at the young maid. His eyes holding so many emotions at once.A rare sight of him.
It was at this moment,that Yaozu swore to help the young girl as much as he can. Not just spare her of the cruel fate she faced in his past life. She deserved a happy life and Yaozu is now bent on helping her achieve it.

"Your Highness...Master Xiao is imprisoned.", The maid holds onto her master's hand carefully.
Her tears-stained face full of worry, looked sadly at her master, who seemed to look human again in a long time.

She knew it won't be good for her master's health but she wasn't capable of hiding the fact from her master. She just couldn't.
She knew her master loved his parents dearly, even after their mistakes. How can she keep hidden the fact that her master's father is punished just for standing up for his child?

"How can it be...?Why", the male consort spoke in a thin voice, filled with sadness.
He thought this new life was a blessing, were the gods just having fun seeing him miserable?

"It seems your Highness was somehow found the culprit in this incident. And master Xiao stood up for your highness and refused to accept you could have tried to poison someone.", the Gugu gave her master a small smile. But her face was still sad.

"..Culprit?I don't... understand.", Yaozu spoke in a thin voice. The face that had just now eyes filled with emotions, had now tired eyes like a void.

"The poison..they say that your Highness tea was supposed to be for consort Yu...And there is evidence that your highness..was the one behind it.", the maid's eyes were glossy seeing the lifeless-looking eyes of her master.

"..Only if I had the courage to request the breaking of my marriage to the emperor. I'm sorry, Meihui.", the young maid didn't know what to say or do anymore seeing her master's sickly appearance and tired expression.