Ch.12

"Your Highness, we've arrived at Jiniang palace.", the handmaid announced to her master, who had an expressionless face.
The male consort rose from the carriage and entered the grand palace followed by his servants, who carried their master's stuff.

Fortunately, he didn't have to worry about low-ranked concubines, who resided in his palace anymore.
Yaozu looked around the infamous palace with a thoughtful but calm expression on his pale face.
The Jiniang palace was the residence of Empress Xiaojingchun.

She was the emperor's royal mother, who died mysteriously after the current emperor ascended the throne.
Rumors have it that the empress dowager didn't want two empresses in the palace, which is plausible. After all,the two didn't have a good history together.

It was said that Empress Xiaojingchun wasn't the virtuous woman she liked to portray.
It's rumored that she may have caused the miscarriages of some concubines of the previous emperor.
A small smile crept on Yaozu's face, as he inspected the perfectly maintained gardener. The palace of a scum empress is very suited for a scum consort, isn't it?

Thinking about the empress, a feeling of nostalgia overwhelmed the male consort.
He started thinking of his past life. Is that how people would have seen him too?
Just a scum consort worth no account? Well,that's how it will be for Yaozu at least. The empress was cherished by her husband, the previous emperor.

Even if she died poisoned by a former concubine or not, she will be buried beside her husband. And people can remember her as the previous emperor's beloved wife, even if there are some dark rumors.
Yaozu smiled slightly seeing the withered orchids.

Orchids symbolize love and beauty and can be a symbol of a married couple.
Whether the rumors are true or not, the empress did indeed have a happy marriage with the emperor.
Yaozu began having flashbacks from his past life, looking at the flowers longingly before he scoffed slightly.

"..I need a reality check.", he looked at the flowers one more time before leaving the beautiful gardener.
The Gugu dressed in a degnified blue uniform made her way to the noble consort, seemingly done with placing everything in place.

"Meihui, have some maids plant some balsamine flowers. Orchids don't suit my taste.", the male consort said in a calm tone.

"I understand, Your Highness. Are you feeling a little better now?", the gugu asked with a voice filled with worry.

The noble consort smiled gently at his dowry maid.
He is happy to have Meihui open more to him. Yaozu wants her to be his friend, not a servant.

"I'm.Alright.Come, let's have a chat in my new chambers.", Yaozu grabbed the girl's hand gently and guided her to the grand palace.

"Your Highness...", the gugu's eyes soften seeing her master's hesitation, and let him guide her.

Meihui hasn't recovered from the incident either. But it's more painful for Yaozu than for her.
She's worried about his mental health, and that's why she doesn't want to lose Yazou from her eyesight for too long.

"This is a palace suited for an empress.."Yaozu widens his eyes slightly seeing the majestic chambers.
Meihui was speechless at the sight, she never imagined a palace could be this beautiful.
While the Gugu was in a trance, the male consort took his seat and gestured for Meihui to do so as well.(representation image above)

*******
After some chatting the two came to serious matters that need to be addressed.

"Meihui, I will be holding a harem meeting tomorrow and I need you to find me a loyal maid.", Yazou looked intently at the young maid with a serious expression.

"Yes, Your Highness. I will find a maid and announce all the concubines."

Yaozu nodded toward Meihui before she left to accomplish his orders with an expressionless face and elegant composure.
Meanwhile, the male consort rose from his seat slowly and decided to look around the hall, where the meeting would take place.

He walked around the hall as scenes of the past were unfolding in front of him. Past dark memories of the past appeared like illusions before Yaozu.
Noble consort Yi sitting above the other concubines, as the new head of the harem. A bright smile spread on her pale face.

Consort Xiao sat with a tired expression facing royal consort Hui, who was extremely quiet and looked at the male consort with an unreadable expression.
While concubine Juan had a wide smile on her face, as she looked at the pitiful male consort.

"Congratulation, Your Highness for your promotion.", Consort Ling spoke in a soft tone, a weary smile splattered on her face.

Noble lady Yan gave a small smile as well, congratulating the new head of the harem.
Many concubines followed as well, and soon the hall rang, full of feminine voices.

After a while, a new concubine spoke in a gentle voice addressing consort Xiao
"Your Highness, the new year is approaching. Would your highness be present this time?", Her eyes didn't hold any malice, but sparkled slightly.

Consort Xiao stayed silent while looking at the young concubine. Others didn't utter a word either beside one.
"Oh, noble lady Rong, you may not be aware since you only entered the harem a year and a half ago...", consort Ling said in a low voice, but didn't continue any further.

"Consort Xiao is forbidden to attend any special events sadly...This is all you need to know as the reason it's not important.", noble consort Yi responded in a firm voice, however, the corner of her lips was slightly upturned.

Yaozu took a deep breath, coming back to the present, leaving the past to dust.
He looked at the seat in the center of the room and smirked slightly.
It hurt so bad to the point it became funny. Yaozu doesn't have to step on eggshells around the people of the palace anymore, but at what cost?

He feels like Qingge's replacement and it's not like he didn't feel like that before but this time it was truly like it.
The emperor named him 'noble consort Yi' just like he named his cousin. Did he just like the title?

After all his bad emotions left him, Yazou kept thinking about the weird incident again.
It was truly an odd situation...Everything seemed too fake.
Qingge never failed one of her plans in the past. Why would she just fail miserably now?

If it truly was her plan, trying to win the emperor's empathy she would have talked with the emperor sooner.
Even that maid...She was acting too bold for a servant, no one would risk having their head chopped off.
It seems like the incident is more than it meets the eye.

Yaozu's thoughts were interrupted by his Gugu, who came back to report with a maid following behind her.
"Your Highness, I have did as you asked. I have also brought a loyal and capable maid as you asked.", the senior maid spoke in a firm voice with a sly smile on her face.

Yaozu turned around to see a familiar face, which made him slightly surprised but after seeing the look on Meihui's face, he smiled proudly at his intelligent dowry maid before facing the maid.

"Ah, Hailan..Just the right person. I have some business with you.", the noble consort smiled at the calm maid.

"What can I do for your highness?", the maid spoke in a soft tone, already having a guess.

"Perhaps, you already have an idea, But I would explain anyway.", The male consort smiled gently,
"I would like you to serve at the palace of eternal harmony again."

Hailan's eyes widen slightly after hearing the consort's request or more likely order.
She expected such a thing after the incident but she never thought that the noble consort would ask her, the emperor's spy to gain information from another concubine's palace.

"It may be surprising at first, but you will understand later on. Now,let's make preparations for you to enter Noble Lady Xiao's palace, should we?", Yazou smiled satisfied with the smooth plan.

—————————————————————————
Now that school started, I don't think it would be updated too often I'm afraid but I will try to make a chap every week that will probably be posted Sunday.
Hope you will enjoy the new chapter !