Ch 16

"Your Highness, are there any news about the incident?", a soft voice asked calmly,

"The investigation is still ongoing, nothing concrete was found.", a calm, sonorous voice answered.

The male consort, who was seated beside the Empress dowager, looked quite disoriented.
He began to unfold the happenings before the banquet but nothing he remembered could indicate something to do with the poisoning.

The Empress dowager looked at Yaozu with a soft expression," Don't worry, the incident will most likely be closed as there is no evidence. Plus, the Royal consort and the royal child are alright."

"..Your Highness is right, however, I can't understand where the poison could come from.", Yaozu frowned slightly.

The Empress dowager nodded," Noble consort is right, there is something going on, that we aren't aware of.", she spoke in a serious tone," But, I'm sure the Emperor will find the culprit behind this odd incident.", she took her cup of tea and drank from it. The green tea always seemed to soothe her senses.

"Drink some tea, it will help with the stress.", the Royal mother smiled at her son-in-law.

Yaozu gave a small smile before drinking the green tea that started to get cold, as it was ignored for some time.

                             ************

The Emperor sat on his golden throne as he listened to the ministers who weren't able to find any concrete evidence.

"The only information we could gather was that the handmaid of His Highness, noble consort Yi bought the jewelry, but nothing more than that.", one of the ministers bowed.

The Emperor's patience was wearing thin, seeing his ministers's incompetence.
"You couldn't gather any information on noble consort Yi, to confirm his innocence or guilt?", he spoke in a cold, sonorous voice.

"Your Majesty, the pieces of jewelry are yet to be confirmed of any traces of poison.", a calm voice replied.
The tall man dressed in ministry red robes that stood closest to the Emperor had an expressionless face.

The Emperor looked at him for a moment and his expression softened slightly.
"Good point, Prince Wuxian. We will see what can be done then.", he nodded.

"Yes, however, I have a suspicion that we are on the wrong lead.", the Prince said calmly.

The Emperor had the same opinion as his brother. He knew that Yaozu was intelligent and could be scheming when he wanted, his every choice had a motive.
If he truly wanted to get rid of the royal child, he would have chosen something subtle not obvious like poisoning.

"That's what the Prince thinks? Then, perhaps you should have the right lead to search.", the emperor spoke with a small smirk.

"Yes, Your Majesty.", the Prince bowed.

The Emperor was thankful for having such a smart brother.
An incident is always better solved in silence in strange and subtle ways.

                          **************

The Royal consort was laying in bed, weak after the poisoning while concubines of the harem stood by her side.
"Thank you for coming to visit me..", she spoke softly, still weak after the incident.

"How could we not? Your Highness was the head of the harem before the noble consort was promoted.", the title seemed to bring an odd distaste for noble lady Juan, as she said it.

Royal consort Hui ignored it but kept it in mind, as she smiled gently.
Noble lady Juan smiled before she went to instruct a maid to bring some soup for the Royal consort, to strengthen her body.

"Noble Consort Yi is the prime suspect but nothing has been found yet, something doesn't add up.", Noble lady Mei said quietly.

Noble lady Xun looked at the other noble lady with an expressionless face," It's most likely another attempt to frame his Highness."

The Royal consort listened carefully as she analyzed the two concubines before smiling weakly," Yes, that seems to be the case.", she spoke quietly.

"I think his majesty knows.", Attendant Jia spoke in a hushed voice.
The other concubines acknowledged her words. It seems the Emperor knows.

"There are only two persons, we know that could have done it.", concubine Ling said quietly as she looked out for noble lady Juan.

"Beauty Yan didn't come..?", royal consort Hui asked with a frown.

**************

"Does noble consort have any idea who could be the culprit?", the Royal mother spoke softly as she made her move.

"In the harem, I have three persons to choose from.", Yaozu replied as he moved his piece as well.

"I see, May I know who are those concubines you speak of?", the Empress dowager asked as she made her next move.

"Noble Lady Xiao, Beauty Yan, and Noble Lady Juan.", Yaozu made his move as he answered.

"I can see why you suspect them, but don't forget that snakes don't always bare their teeth for you to see.", the Empress dowager said as she moved her piece.

"I'm aware, but the most likely one to have done something like this is Royal Consort Hui.", he said as he moved his piece.

"Why do you think others couldn't have done it?", she asked with her eyes still on the board.

"Perhaps they can, but normally someone won't dare to do it without support at least.", Yaozu made his final move as he surrounded the Royal mother's pieces.

"You're very skilled at strategy.", she smiled," As expected of the prime minister's son."

"I learned this skill while being the study partner of the royal princes.", Yaozu smiled gently.

"You're a fast learner then. That's good.", she smiled proudly.

"Your Highnesses, I have some news about the incident.", the Royal mother's Gugu spoke.

The two Royal nodded towards the head maid for her to continue.

"There was poison found in the incense used by Her Highness, Royal Consort Hui, and the jewelry gifted by Your Highness is still in the process of examination."

The mother-in-law and son-in-law duo shared a glance with raised eyebrows.

"Who do you recall is so daring?", the Empress dowager asked with a small smirk.

"The one who had noble lady Xiao demoted.", Yaozu smirked.

The Royal mother frowned slightly while tilting her head.
"Noble lady Xiao is very capable of scheming and there's only one that would be daring enough to try to attack two birds with a single, small stone.", Yaozu smiled smugly.

—————————————————————————
Happy New Year dear readers!