Chapter 15: Revelations and Realizations

The morning sun shone through the windows of the Organized Crime unit's loft as Olivia and Elliot arrived, carrying coffees for the team. The atmosphere was a blend of camaraderie and professionalism, a testament to the close-knit nature of Elliot's crew. The team's awareness and acceptance of Olivia and Elliot's relationship added a layer of comfort to their dynamic.

Upon reaching Jet's workstation, the couple exchanged greetings before Jet, sensing the gravity of the situation, directed them to Elliot's office. "Good morning, Captain Benson, Elliot. There's something you both need to see," she said, her tone serious.

Once in the office, Jet instructed Elliot to open an email she had sent him. As he clicked on the file, a series of news headlines filled the screen. Each headline detailed the harrowing story of a young girl who had suffered unthinkable trauma at the hands of a father figure in a Catholic orphanage.

Olivia's breath caught in her throat as she read the name of the girl: Catherine Bluemoon James. The realization that Catherine, the woman she had been searching for, had endured such a traumatic childhood was overwhelming. She swayed on her feet, nearly fainting, but Elliot's quick reflexes kept her upright.

Realizing the gravity of the situation, Elliot guided a shaken Olivia to the couch in his office. Gently laying her down, he sat beside her, cradling her head in his lap. His own shock was evident, but his immediate concern was for Olivia.

"Jet, can you get some water, maybe something with sugar?" he asked, his voice steady despite the turmoil he felt.

Jet nodded, her own expression one of shock and empathy, and quickly left to fulfill the request.

As they sat in the quiet of the office, Elliot tenderly caressed Olivia's cheeks, trying to offer what comfort he could. The revelation about Catherine's past added a complex, heartbreaking layer to their already complicated situation.

Elliot closed his eyes for a moment, processing the information. The thought of Catherine, just six years old and facing such horrors, filled him with a deep sense of sorrow and anger. The strength and resilience that Catherine had shown in her adult life took on a new meaning, knowing what she had overcome.
——————————-

In the quiet of Elliot's office, with the morning light casting a soft glow, Olivia lay on the couch, her head resting in Elliot's lap. The revelation about Catherine's traumatic childhood had hit her like a physical blow. Elliot, his hand gently stroking Olivia's hair, was a comforting presence in the midst of the emotional storm.

Olivia's eyes were closed, but tears slipped from beneath her eyelids, tracing silent paths down her cheeks. The knowledge that her daughter had suffered such horrendous abuse was unbearable. It brought a new, painful dimension to her longing and guilt for the daughter she had given up.

Elliot, equally shaken, struggled to maintain his composure for Olivia's sake. His mind raced with the implications of this discovery. It explained so much about Catherine's defensive and closed-off demeanor, her reluctance to engage with Olivia. But it also opened up a chasm of pain and unanswered questions.

Jet returned quietly, setting a glass of water and a packet of sugar on the desk before retreating, sensing the need for privacy. Elliot thanked her with a nod, his focus remaining on Olivia.

He whispered words of comfort to Olivia, "Liv, I'm so sorry. I can't even begin to imagine how you must be feeling. But we're going to get through this, together."