Six

The next afternoon, I woke up with the faint sun on my face and then I sat up. I looked out at  the window and saw beautiful snowflakes landing on the window. I checked my phone and saw a text from Taylor.       

Taylor: Where are you? I'm sorry. I need to talk to you. 

Me: Fuck off, Taylor. You broke it off remember? Goodbye. 

I put my robe on and went downstairs to the kitchen to an amazing smell. I saw Jack humming along to a song. He was in a white t-shirt and black sweatpants. His hair was messy and he seemed groggy but happy. I sat on a stool by the island.   

"Good morning." I said, chuckling.

Jack turned around and smiled. "Good morning, Liles." He said, enthused.   

"Yeah. What are you cooking?" 

"A salad." 

I nodded. We met eyes. His eyes went soft. "Everything okay?" He asked.  

I exhaled deeply. "Yes. Yes, of course." 

But the fact was, I wasn't. I was hurt. I couldn't believe Taylor had the guts to text me after he broke my heart. We were nothing ever serious but still. He was my first boyfriend. 

"I'm---I'm going to get dressed and take a walk." I stuttered sadly.  

"Delilah Holland. Are you okay?" Jack asked, narrowing his eyes at me. 

"Yes. Yes, I'm fine, Jackson Hill." 

I went back upstairs and changed into my pink backless sweater and boyfriend jeans. I went downstairs and slipped on my snow boots and cardigan. 

Jack sighed. "You look really pretty, Lelies."  I was taken by surprise by his words. He's never said that to me before. 

 "Uh, thanks." I blushed. "I'll be back soon." 

I walk out and climb on Jack's car. I needed to think about what I was going to do. This trip was meant to distract me. But Taylor fucked it up again. I hate him. I don't know why I ever dated him. I looked towards the cabin and thought ofJack. Was I ready to give my heart to him if I told him how I felt about him? Did he feel the same about me?    

I looked out to the lake and remembered sophomore year when I developed these feeling towards him. Sometimes I wish I hadn't because it's hard to be around him. But he's my best friend and he'll always be there for me. I'll always be there for him. I suddenly saw Jack coming out wearing black jeans, the white shirt from earlier, and his black snow boots. He climbed on the car and sat by me. He looked at me. 

  "Something is clearly wrong. I've known you for seven years. I know when something is upsetting you." He said, seriously.  

I looked back at him sadly and sighed. "You're right...something is wrong." I looked at my feet. "There's so many things I want to tell you, but I'm scared too."  I bit my lower lip, looking at him, nervously

"Leiles, I'm you're best friend, I mean---" 

 I gulped and looked into Jack's confused eyes. "I like you, Jack. I mean... I'm in love with you." I stuttered nervously. "And, it's okay if you don't feel the same way. I just needed to tell you." 

Jack blinked and I saw surprise in his expression. He leaned forward,  cupped my cheek, and kissed me gently and beautifully. I've never been kissed like that before---or ever. I put my hands to his back and when we parted from the kiss he looked into my eyes and sighed deeply. 

"I've been in love with you ever since sophomore year. I wanted to be with you, but I didn't want to screw up our friendship." He said, softly.