TWENTY-FOUR

^Grenthoda Helios, the voice of a pen

*****

"We meet after a long time, Amber, but I greatly wished it'd be longer before we met again." Amber stands before my desk, her hands folded behind, and eyes forced down. I sit in my chair, and before me is my desk upon which a fresh stack of a thick bundle of reports lie.

"My apologies Your Highness, if you feel disappointed in me for any reason. The business that you entrusted in me ended way quicker, and I did not particularly have any more to do, staying away."

"Well, go on. Debreif the conditions there."

"Your Highness, the dam's condition-—the fact that it is worse; in fact, we undermined how bad it might get."

I take a moment to collect her words inside my head. "What do you mean?"

"The dam looks like it will fail any moment. Fortunately for us, there is no rain these days. If it had been, things would've been much worse. I spoke with the villagers belonging to all the thirty-three villages that live off the dam."

"I spoke with them. Living on that turf for so many years, they aren't completely unaware of the depleting condition of the dam. They even complained that despite so many protests and strikes, the King of Logra did not take any effective actions against aiding the villagers out. I reasoned out that Your Highness wishes to relocate the villagers in a better place and to help them find a better livelihood on their own, but to my dismay, the villagers opposed the idea. They did not want to leave the place, no matter what for various different reasons, and none understood the threat."

Not letting go of one's jomelad is appreciable. But when it surpasses certain limits, they tend to look foolish. "About the dam, Amber, what are the possibilities of restoration or destruction?"

"Your Highness, I'm afraid that as per your ideas, a canal cannot be constructed."

Amber takes a pause and I consider her words for a moment. "What can we do then?"

"Your Highness, the location of the dam proves to be important. It is in the Viles river, which has its tributaries. The problem of the dam arises because the water content in it becomes too much for the structure to hold. We might try to release the water content slowly and have it merge with the tributaries of the Viles river. But then, the width of the river prior to the dam is narrow, and also, the villages are dangerously close to the river. Nonetheless, the nearest tributary of the river, Iochor, is five miles away from the dam, which means, the water we release should be of such a force which would move the water all the way to complete the five miles and reach Iochor."

"That force can wipe out villages near the dam. Is there anything else that is concerning you?"

"The dam might break even before we try to release the water."