TWENTY-SIX

The day I upheld as the host of the assembly had passed, but once again, with the difference in time being not less than twenty-four, yet again I find myself repeating the gesture, only, the people decorating the chamber are different. The task that I had entrusted with Amber two days ago had bore fruit even though the time to ripen has yet to come. Amber had, at once, requested the aid of five people whom she chose herself. One among this uncalled group of five is the engineer. Two of them are architects. The fourth one appears to be a researcher and the last one is a scholar, who seems to have peculiar ideas and knowledge about building structures.

I shall get straight to the point of what this bunch brought forth to me, while omitting the process of how the conclusion was reached. The dam being an obstacle with the possibilities of flooding a nearby main road which connects the Kingdom to the Northern Gates was the issue. During my previous conclusion, the solution to sought out the dam appeared along with creating a man-made river connecting the upstream to a dried-up lake three miles away, only, in order to do so, the man-made river ought to cross the main road, thus making it no longer useful and completely destroying the objective.

As per the new conclusion, the coarse of the new river will not be changed. A mechanism will be fit at the mouth of the river on the upstream to prevent the flow of water before the river is fully built. As for the main road, the idea is to build a bridge and let the water flow below it. When the bridge and the coarse of the river are all set, the mechanism from the mouth of the river in the upstrean will be opened to let the water flow. Once the flow of water is regulated, the dam will be destroyed safely. As simple as it would seem, I can't help thinking that it's childish.

This plan will cost a lot. Following the half-hearted struggle of Nizal and the numerous under-handed dealings that were undertaken during the banquet, I'm afraid we are running low on finance. We can't raise the tax rates on people and the price of commodities has also risen to a dangerous limit. King Marvin is held up in the Throne room with various compliants on the same. We can't borrow money from the neighbors since we already owe them a lot. The trade of gold takes place on water and Vanevia is surrounded by land on all sides. We import gold from Cygnia, but that too, at a higher tax rate.

I'll never see the end of it.

"Your...Highness? Is this alright?"

I open my eyes that are begging to rest and focus on Amber. I want this session to end as quickly as it can and take a nap.

"Yes. It's fine. When the Queen arrives, Amber, we'll meet her and debreif the same. I would like for you to train them accordingly to meet Her Majesty. You will do anything she suggests...and if she dislikes the idea...get ready to find a new one. At the very least...prove yourself useful..."

I close my eyes and press my nasal bridge between my index and thumb before leaning back to rest my head.

"Your Highness...should I—"

"Leave."

"...yes, Your Highness," she says after a moment and I shall take the liberty to assume that she has noticed that I'm in bad spirits. And poorly, yes, I am.

Last night, I had a rather bitter conversation with Andrus of all people regarding Fredric. He did not seem to resent me, but at the same time, he looked like he was having trouble believing the fact that I am the reason why he lost precious moments with his brother. He did not seem angry (I can never expect him to be angry), but with that furrowed brows, I know it was pure worry. He looked confused, or rather, unable to fix himself to one end. He resembled more of his father, who, on his part, has had trouble fixing whether he'll hand me the throne or not. Like father, like son.

Actually, it must be sons. Neither Andrus nor Fredric seems to have taken over their mother, which is better. Having to deal with two 'Meridas' will be the end of me. I'm glad he doesn't have a sister...