Chapter 15

Isabelle

Isabelle

6 days later.

It's finally time... Today, I will be free. Today, it all ends. Today, I get to live the life I always wanted for myself. Two days ago, I graduated with flying colors at the top of my class and now I can easily get into a good university with hopefully a full scholarship. Finally, after almost a decade of fucking pain and torture, I'll be free. I'll be in charge of my own life. I can do whatever I want. Just a few more hours.

 I'm sitting in the car with Danielle as we both leave. Yesterday, the graduation ceremony happened and Lucy and I said our goodbyes. I'm gonna miss her so much. But maybe, just maybe, after I'm free, I'll get to see her again.

Here's the plan:

 1. Get in the car and act as if everything is normal. Don't raise suspicion. 

 2.  Ask Danielle to stop somewhere at a bar or restaurant or something. Go inside with the excuse of the restroom. I'll tell her I may have gotten my period which'll give me the excuse to take my bag along.

 3. Take the back door and run for it. 

 4. Get a cab out of town and never look back.

I know my plan is very cliche but it's the best I've got, I guess. I'm only seventeen and have never planned an escapade, so you can't say anything. And, I think Danielle trusts me enough to think I won't try to escape and run away. I may succeed or I may not. But it's a risk I need to take. I must. Otherwise, God knows what might happen to me. Oh, how I hope it works. 

Danielle is in the passenger seat, next to one of our bodyguards as he drives. My forehead is pressed against the window as I look out. "Hey, Isabelle?" Danielle calls out and I look at her. "We have to meet someone real quick. Wait for us here, okay?"

"Yeah, totally." I reply. Perfect opportunity. Danielle and the driver or guard or her partner, whatever he is, leave. A couple minutes after they've left and my coast becomes clear, I slowly and quietly get out and take my bag. 

Bang. A gunshot hits the car. I scream when it almost hits me. I hide behind the car. Tears escape my eyes. Someone or someones keep firing at the car. It's bulletproof which is protecting me for now. But I can't run or escape the gunshots. I slam my hand over my mouth to muffle my cries as a panic attack hits me. There's no one around to help me. 

Bang. Bang. Bang. Bang.

They keep shooting. I'm scared shitless right now. God, why the fuck is my life so twisted? What have I ever done to anyone? Who have I hurt that the universe keeps hurting me like this. First, losing my parents and sister in a car accident and being the lone survivor. Second, seven years of torture with Aunt and Uncle. Then getting sold to the Devil. Now, getting fired at. How is it that I'm so goddamned unlucky? How is it that my life is so terrible?

My panic attack hits me. Hard. It's getting harder to breathe. My breath heightens. It's becoming heavier. My tears are rapid and uncontrollable. The bullets keep hitting the car. I feel the car move slightly with each hit. My fingers thread in my hair. 

I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe. Can't breathe. Can't breathe. Can'tbreathecan'tbreathe.

Bang. 

I scream. The bullet hit me. I feel excruciating pain in my shoulder. It hurts. It hurts. It hurts! It hurts worse than everything I've ever felt. Worse than standing in the rain all night, too. I can't—

"Isabelle!" Someone screams. I can't see her face but I hear her voice. Danielle. I manage to lift my head as I whimper. She's guards by her side. They're shooting back as she rushes over to me. Before I can say or do anything, everything just goes black. I can no longer feel anything.