xxviii. the letters and the eclipse

To my melek,

Your letters bring me great joy, and keep me company on my lonely nights on campaign. I long to see your face, to feel your presence, to touch your skin.

I miss our jewel greatly as well, I hope to return victorious from Rhodes in time to see both her first steps and the birth of our youngest. News of your pregnancy truly reinvigorated me on my campaign, and when I capture Rhodes, I will know part of the reason for my victory will be the memory of the joy, peace and love you have bestowed upon me.

With love,
Your Sultan

~•~•~•~•~•~

To His Majesty, my love,

I cannot begin to express how much it means to me to know your love for my letters, especially as I keep yours under my pillow every night, unable to part from your words.

Sultana Zeynep brings me such great joy, and looks more and more like you everyday. Our younger has as strong a kick as their sister once did, so I believe we shall have our hands full.

She loves the Valide greatly, who is so kind and always has time for our jewel. Dear Sultana Hatice visits often too, I do believe she will make a wonderful parent one day.

I'm afraid I have a confession to make. I did not want to trouble you on campaign, but now news of your survival and victorious path to Rhodes has reached the Palace I feel I must confess.

When you return, you will no doubt hear of an incident where Kiraz Hatun stole the gifts you made for myself, Mahidevran Sultan and Hürrem Sultan.

Unfortunately, I believe this is my fault. Kiraz Hatun, in truth, was my step-sister when we lived in Croatia and always disliked me due to my mother. I fear all this trouble is because of my presence, so I must apologise to you profusely and will do so to the Valide later this day.

On the lighter side, I am sure you have already heard but Kiraz Hatun has birthed a beautiful daughter that the Valide has named Sultana Nefise.

The Sultana is a most lovely child, with red-hair and charming blue eyes. I believe she will be a credit to Your Majesty, and I look forward to the day Sultana Zeynep and Sultana Nefise can spend time together.

With all my love and heartfelt apologies,
Your devoted Kelebek.

~•~•~•~•~•~

My dear melek,

Your apologies are entirely unnecessary. Please do not feel you cannot tell me these things, and know that the sins of another are wholly their own.

My Valide informed me of the birth of my second daughter, and I cannot say how pleased I am to hear more about her. My admiration for you has only grown to hear you say such complementary words about my daughter, also the child of a Hatun who had treated you unkindly.

Indeed, it is true that we have successfully approached Rhodes, and I intend for us to take it within the week. I am sure that with the prayers of my Valide, Sultana Hatice and yourself, our victory will soon be assured.

I will see you in time for the birth of our child.

I shall see you in my dreams,
Your Sultan.

~•~•~•~•~•~

In the Valide's chamber, all the women of the dynasty gathered - even Kiraz Hatun, who had still not been officially released from her chambers.