xxvii. daughters of the dynasty

{we're still in Ep10, towards the end :). The time jump in Ep10 is actually two months, but I've changed it to four to realign the story to the show}

Istanbul, Turkey

Sultan Süleyman had been on campaign for four months.

Sultana Zeynep was nine months old now, she would happily crawl about the floors of Kelebek's chambers, pulling herself up on the furniture and declaring 'mama'! The Valide was hard at work trying to get the little girl to pronounce her title, though she had not succeeded yet and likely wouldn't for a while.

With her pregnancy in its sixth month, Kelebek was forced to rely on the other Hatuns more and more. Often, it was Banu holding Zeynep instead of Kelebek, the latter's arms feeling cold and lonely without the comfort of her daughter.

Luckily, she could still do her embroidery for she often found herself summoned to the Valide's chambers to join her, Sultana Hatice, Gülfem Sultan and Mahidevran Sultan to do so. Of course, the latter's eyes were less than welcoming, and her attendant Gülşah's eyes outright hostile.

The Harem on a whole remarkably dull. Kiraz had been confined to her rooms the entire time thanks to Kelebek, and the Valide had saw fit to tell Hürrem not to leave hers either.

Idly, Kelebek wondered when the tension between the Valide and Hürrem might come to a head, and decided she would be watching eagerly from the sidelines when the time came.

Still, Kelebek was all too aware that if she didn't play her cards right she could end up in Hürrem's position. The Valide's favouring of Mahidevran Sultan was all too painfully obvious.

"Kelebek," Defne shouted, breathless from having ran to her rooms. "Kelebek, news has spread around the Harem, Kiraz Hatun has gone into labour!"

It seemed the moment of truth had arrived before the Sultan. Soon, Kelebek would find out if getting rid of Kiraz would be possible - after all, it was unlikely Kelebek could get her banished if she became a Sultana.

"I'll have to attend the naming ceremony after the birth," the Croatian Hatun said. "What's considered an appropriate gift from a fellow Hatun?"

Presumptuous perhaps to presume the child would be born healthy considering the dangers of childbirth, but Kelebek would not stoop so low as to wish a baby ill.

No, if it was a son that would threaten her own children's inheritance, she would deal with him accordingly when he grew.

A small mercy.

Defne, who had grown up in Turkey so better knew the Ottoman customs, thought about it for a moment. "A semi-precious jewel perhaps? It is different because you are a Hatun with a far lower allowance than the Sultanas."

Kelebek sighed, glancing adoringly over at her daughter giggling at Banu Hatun pulling funny facial expressions.

Her moment of peace was interrupted by Meltem Kalfa shoving open the door to her chambers, her normally stern expression broken by concern.

"Meltem Kalfa?" Kelebek asked, struggling to raise herself up from her sofa. "What is it?"

The Kalfa shook her head. "Sit back down, Hatun, and prepare to remain calm."